Do WR450Fs come with "marked" excel rims?

5 replies to this topic
  • Bitteeinbit

Posted January 17, 2016 - 07:49 AM

I've been looking at WRs for the past few weeks, trying to find a clean one and also trying to figure out if I want a 250 or a 450. I like the nimble feel of the 250, but the 450 isn't THAT bad either, and they're actually cheaper here. Also, I have to say that the thrill of an easy power wheelie in second (didn't have enough speed for 3rd) is tempting... I'm now leaning towards the 450 as a bike I can keep for several years and slowly hone my skills with. Anyways, this one looked quite fresh and the current owner only rode it a few times in the six months he's owned it (rode it once offroad with some friends, but it scared him shitless so he never touched it again). 

Only visible issues were that the sprockets looked like they needed to be changed soon (wavy, though I noticed they had 14-50 stock gearing, but a Renthal in the back), and the tires (especially rear) were pretty much finished. I noticed this one had Excel marking on the rims, is this normal?  

P_20160114_103957.jpg

P_20160114_104006.jpg

P_20160114_104016.jpg

P_20160114_104027.jpg

P_20160114_104102.jpg

P_20160114_104114.jpg

Green sticker means what exactly? It can be driven on the highway?

P_20160114_104149.jpg

P_20160114_104248.jpg

P_20160114_104258.jpg

Look how chewed up those tires are, chunks missing on the side... But those rims? Not stock?

P_20160114_104453.jpg

Tried comparing the nipples to stock, but they seem the same/not excels:

P_20160114_104502.jpg

P_20160114_105838.jpg

P_20160114_105848.jpg

Is that black stuff just regular paint, or some kind of anti-rust compound? Seems like the PO in the states used to ride in rocky terrain a lot and never bothered with a bash plate... Speaking of which, what's the point of that tiny stock skid plate which doesn't even protect the tube framing? Kind of pointless if you ask me. I guess I should invest in a bash plate if I do get it... How clean does this one look at first glance? Started up nicely both hot and cold and the engine had heaps of power (not that I can compare it to many others, I've only ridden two 450s).

P_20160114_105901.jpg

P_20160114_110317.jpg

• still2smokin

Posted January 17, 2016 - 11:46 AM

Those are the stock wheels that come on WR's. Green sticker is California thing , just means you can ride it offroad
year round . Red would mean can only
ride 6 months a year .

Judging by the engine cases it looks pretty clean and maybe low hours .

That rear sprocket is toast . Aluminum sprockets don't last long . Replace
with a steel unit and probably a new chain .

Also a full coverage skid plate is must .

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 17, 2016 - 04:19 PM

Black lettering is built by Giant in Taiwan, for Tagasako

Blue is standard issue

Red is HD series ('signature')

Yellow is A60 series (premium)

White is A60 supermoto

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bitteeinbit

Posted January 17, 2016 - 07:46 PM

Thanks guys.

Those are the stock wheels that come on WR's. Green sticker is California thing , just means you can ride it offroad
year round . Red would mean can only
ride 6 months a year .

Judging by the engine cases it looks pretty clean and maybe low hours .

That rear sprocket is toast . Aluminum sprockets don't last long . Replace
with a steel unit and probably a new chain .

Also a full coverage skid plate is must .

From what I understand, all body parts are interchangeable between the 250 and 450, correct? So large tank and skid plate from a same year 250 would fit this 450 right?

• ftl900

Posted January 18, 2016 - 09:42 AM

If you're in Cambodia, that green sticker won't mean anything.  If you're in California, you won't be able to register this bike there to ride it on the street. 

This is built as a dirt bike, but depending on where you live, you may be able to register it to ride on the street- unless you live in California.  

I live in Nevada where it's easy to convert a dirt bike to street, as is Utah, and Arizona is even easier. 

Also, it looks like that rear sprocket is rubbing on the inside of the swingarm or something... It has the blue anodizing worn off in a stripe, all the way around.

I don't understand the infatuation with aluminum sprockets... anything I buy with an aluminium sprocket is immediately changed over to steel.

I'm going to look at a 2003 450 today... good luck!

P_20160114_104114.jpg

Edited by ftl900, January 18, 2016 - 09:45 AM.

• Bitteeinbit

Posted January 18, 2016 - 02:09 PM

Good job on spotting that mark. I'll have to investigate. I doubt it's from the swingarm, might be from that chain/sprocket protector. The current owner (who I noticed knew little about dirt bikes) did mention the chain needed to be changed because it was loose and making a sound, slapping on the swingarm... However, there were no marks on the swingarm, so when I asked if he'd ever tensioned the chain at all, he looked at me with a confused look. Either way I figured the chain/sprocket combo and tires would go into any offer I make him in the next two days.

Not the least bit worried about registration. Almost every bike I've owned here didn't even have plates, let alone registration cards... Just keep hearing about that sticker thing and was wondering if it meant it came with extra emissions stuff on it.

Can anyone recognize the line of ASV levers on it? I tried to look under the tank to see if the grey wire has been removed, but couldn't see clearly. Not that I'd need yz timing right away...

Edited by Bitteeinbit, January 18, 2016 - 02:10 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.