Picked up 2016 WR450

9 replies to this topic
  • Motodisiac

Posted January 16, 2016 - 10:21 PM

Finally pulled the trigger and picked up brand spanking new WR450 tonight. I have had awesome CRF450X for years and it never let me down, but it was time for something new.

Can't wait to break it in and try it at full song. I expect great things from this machine. Already got racing ECU and tuner, but want to break it in before uncorking it.

Stay tuned for review and comparison to 450 X, I'm sure a lot of people are in my shoes.

BTW I must say I'm very impressed by the crew over at Thousand Oaks Powersports. Normally dealers are associated with negative emotions, and these guys are quite the opposite. Great service and all smiles.

• Bass Mechanic

Posted January 17, 2016 - 04:53 AM

Finally pulled the trigger and picked up brand spanking new WR450 tonight. I have had awesome CRF450X for years and it never let me down, but it was time for something new.

Can't wait to break it in and try it at full song. I expect great things from this machine. Already got racing ECU and tuner, but want to break it in before uncorking it.

Stay tuned for review and comparison to 450 X, I'm sure a lot of people are in my shoes.

BTW I must say I'm very impressed by the crew over at Thousand Oaks Powersports. Normally dealers are associated with negative emotions, and these guys are quite the opposite. Great service and all smiles.

Already been there 3 years ago I sold my crf450x and bought a wr.
Power wise without engine mods the crf would take the pre 2016 wr easily suspension wise the wr is damn near perfect where the x needs valving.
But your new wr will walk all over your x in every way.
I just got the fx and it's much better than my 13 wr was.
No regrets here!
I personally don't think Honda has any interest in off road they are the last manufacturers to be running a carb and they even have an FI counterpart mx version.
Nobody is buying that old technology anymore and I guess they don't care.

• W R

Posted January 17, 2016 - 04:56 AM

Congratulations Motodisiac! Cant wait to hear more and see some PICTURES!

• Motodisiac

Posted January 17, 2016 - 11:03 PM

So this morning I woke up super early with one thing on my mind. By 8:30 I was already dressed up, bike uploaded and idling.

I decided to stick with factory break in procedure and do one mellow and one intermediate run. First one was on the track, just easy 20 min session to get myself acquainted with my new machine.

After riding the same bike for years you really get used to it and first minutes on the new toy always give you most vivid impressions. Mine was complete lack of power. I knew this thing is restricted, but this was ridiculous. I had the throttle to the stop after 2nd turn and it stayed this way for the rest of the day. So much for easy break in.

So what does it feel like in comparison to well sorted CRF450X? Stiffer. More nimble while turning. Way more nimble while it's up in the air. I could turn much sharper with ease, sticking to tight inside line is no longer a problem. Handlebars are a little too far back,I will have to move them forward. BTW both bikes feel identical when you take it off the stand, so WR is not light. It's a little taller.

I guess the real test will have to wait until I get new ECU, it's already on the way. As of now the bike is great overall. If I had to pick one thing I didn't like it would be intake noise. It's annoyingly lound and does not sound good. I may have to use earlugs.

Stay tuned for updates.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160117_085340.jpg

• Super_Davee

Posted January 18, 2016 - 06:39 AM

I'm interested in hearing more about the comparison to the 450x. I have a 2006 450x supermoto, and i'm definatley picking up a 16 WR for my next supermoto build. Any plans to get yours plated?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DMC707

Posted January 18, 2016 - 05:21 PM

I need to stop reading you guys' impressions on the WR's and YZFX's  ---  i'm also a happy 450X guy , but new blue is very tempting 

• W R

Posted January 18, 2016 - 05:33 PM

I gotta say I am super happy with my 2011 WR 450F but every time I read about you guys that get a new one it sure makes me want to upgrade. I just cant imagine getting rid of my older one. Guess the easy thing to not spend the cash is the cash it's self.

Instead I will just live the dream through you guys.

• RockerYZWR

Posted January 18, 2016 - 06:30 PM

I gotta say I am super happy with my 2011 WR 450F but every time I read about you guys that get a new one it sure makes me want to upgrade. I just cant imagine getting rid of my older one. Guess the easy thing to not spend the cash is the cash it's self.

Instead I will just live the dream through you guys.

Same here! I want a new WR450 or YZ450FX, but the truth is, my plated '11 WR450 that I already own does everything I need it to and especially after revalving the shock, that SSS suspension is working nice. Then again, I could sell it and only have to throw in a few grand...
(and get it plated out of state...)
Decisions.

• BolinJrsPit Crew

Posted January 18, 2016 - 07:21 PM

I'm definitely getting a new bike. It WAS definitely going to be the FX now I'm tossing the WR around. Wish I could just find one piece of information that would make the decision clear. Someone brought up the fact that a green sticker would be a wise choice but the fact is we ride red sticker year round. Torn for sure. Money in my pocket and don't know what to throw it at.

• Motodisiac

Posted January 18, 2016 - 09:23 PM

Green sticker was the main reason I got WR instead of FX. I think being in CA it helps with resale and potentially you have a chance to get it plated. You can easily make it FX with minimal investment.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.