2015 WR450F rear suspension set up

5 replies to this topic
  • wrthomas

Posted January 14, 2016 - 06:21 PM

We've had this conversation before but remind me.  I'm a 250lb rider and wondering

what changes I should make to the suspension.  Any and all advice is appreciated as

I am EXTREMELY pleased with the engine mods I did, ECU, Tune, Pipe and screw.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 14, 2016 - 07:18 PM

Set your sag first and foremost.

If you don't know how, youtube ' suspension sag setting' for dozens of links.

Once you try and set your sag you will discover that to get the approx 100mm of race sag, you will not have much static sag left, because your spring is too soft.

You go to Race tech and Factory Connection's 'spring calculator' to pick the right spring weight for your rider weight, for both front and rear.

Now with the new springs you can set the rear sag correctly so the wheel will 'drop' into bumps when needed, but still stay up in the stroke for a smoother ride.

After that, you can go to the clickers and start dialing them in for your riding style. Typically, you will need a lot more rebound in the front and rear.

• Kx250FRiDeR651

Posted January 14, 2016 - 11:45 PM

I think 250lb is way to heavy for the stock (soft and bouncy) rear spring. I rode over to Enzo Suspention on my 15' WR to talk about getting my stuff set up and they were saying a 180 pounds is like max they would wanna see on the stock spring on this bike.

Quick question, not trying to hijack the thread, this bike is still really new to me, so I haven't figured out all the tips and tricks, but what's the best way everyone's taking out the rear shocks on late model WRs these days?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted January 15, 2016 - 06:06 AM

Quick question, not trying to hijack the thread, this bike is still really new to me, so I haven't figured out all the tips and tricks, but what's the best way everyone's taking out the rear shocks on late model WRs these days?

Seat off

Right side panel off

Remove back half of exhaust

Put bike on stand so swingarm linkage is touching nothing

Remove shock bolts, taking care that the swingarm will drop

If you get the swingarm down low enough, you can pull the shock down, then up while twisting out

• Kx250FRiDeR651

Posted January 15, 2016 - 09:58 AM

Ah cool thanks. Exact same way you can take my DRZ rear shock out without having to remove the subframe and all that.

• NightLite

Posted January 16, 2016 - 04:52 AM

Ah cool thanks. Exact same way you can take my DRZ rear shock out without having to remove the subframe and all that.

If it hasn't been done yet, go ahead and remove the subframe and linkage. These all need to be greased, Yamaha puts just a very tiny amount of grease in the bearings when new from the factory. The bearings up in the head also need more grease. Take care when you do the rear not to lose any of the little rollers in the bearings.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.