02 yz426 clunking in rear?

6 replies to this topic
  • 0bigsilver6

Posted January 11, 2016 - 08:34 PM

I have heard this on a couple bikes, now I have it on my 426. When I lift the back tire and drop it, there is a loud clunk, especially if I swing the rear to the side a bit. Sounds like the shock and coil is loose and clunking almost. Probably a hearing of some sort, the rear wheel bearings are just about brand new so that's not it. Anyone have any ideas? Sound like something I should be really worried about?

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2016 - 09:05 PM

The top shock bearing is probably the culprit.  It's Heim joint type of single ball/socket bearing, and known for noisy operation.  But they're OK unless there's quite a lot of play in them, and they get noisy enough to hear them while you ride.

It could also be one or more of the other linkage bearings, too.  They need periodic cleaning and greasing, and if it hasn't been done in a while, they can become damaged from dirt, water, and lack of lube.  Swing arm bearings, same thing. 

• 0bigsilver6

Posted January 12, 2016 - 06:19 AM

The top shock bearing is probably the culprit. It's Heim joint type of single ball/socket bearing, and known for noisy operation. But they're OK unless there's quite a lot of play in them, and they get noisy enough to hear them while you ride.

It could also be one or more of the other linkage bearings, too. They need periodic cleaning and greasing, and if it hasn't been done in a while, they can become damaged from dirt, water, and lack of lube. Swing arm bearings, same thing.

Are any of those horrible to change? I should go through and redo all the bearings in the swing arm, I just heard it was a bad job, and expensive. And if the upper shock is a heim joint that means it can't be changed unless I change the whole shock, correct?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2016 - 06:55 AM

No, it's replaceable.  The bearing/ball joint is pressed in to the top shock eye.  Bearing kits are not too expensive, really.  The ones that are a bit of a pain are the two in the link.  The press down against a step in the link, so the have to be pulled out with a blind bearing puller instead of pushed through and out the opposite side. 

• 0bigsilver6

Posted January 12, 2016 - 08:35 AM

No, it's replaceable. The bearing/ball joint is pressed in to the top shock eye. Bearing kits are not too expensive, really. The ones that are a bit of a pain are the two in the link. The press down against a step in the link, so the have to be pulled out with a blind bearing puller instead of pushed through and out the opposite side.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Any good sites where I can get all the bearings and everything for a decent price?

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2016 - 11:07 AM

The TT Store.

• 0bigsilver6

Posted January 12, 2016 - 05:15 PM

Awesome! Thanks again!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.