Best bike for michigan trails?

I myself am a fan of quick and flickable,,(kx100),,fww,high bars,,suspension upgrades,,barkbusters,,skid plate..I ride a lot and see a lot of fellas riding 450f and can't help but think that they have way too much bike for michigan trails since this is relatively a flat state(not a lot of hill climbing)..I'm only 5'5" and been think in of a bigger bike but I seem to catch a lot of guys on bigger bikes in the trails,so what should I do?

I REALLY want to make the switch to a 300 2 stroke, which would be my idea of the perfect bike, but it is not something I can afford, until Wednesday's Powerball that is.  

I have some experience with the 450 class vs a 250 2 stroke, although it is limited to occasionally swapping bikes with my buddy.  My WR426 is definitely a lot of bike when things get narrow or slow, as its a heavy old beast and isn't the most agile.  Suspension work made a huge difference but it is still a tank.  If I had the money, I probably would have gotten a new bike long ago, if the Yamaha was either too much for me to handle or it was prone to breakdowns.  The WR426 is damn near indestructible and having ridden it for the last 15 years (and 15,000ish miles), I have somewhat learned how to minimize the bulk and its agility limitations, despite being 5'9" on a good day, weighing about 185lbs before gear.  I guess I'm pretty strong for my size by the way I'm told I throw the 426 around.  Most people are surprised I ride the big bike considering my stature (or lack thereof).  

That being said, the torque of the 2001 WR426 deals with the Michigan sand way better than my buddies 2000 CR250 2 stroke (supposedly one of the best CR chassis??).  We have swapped bikes on a few occasions, and although I found the CR250 to be sooooo much more agile, lighter and a completely different experience, the 2 stroke has a difficult time maintaining traction and forward momentum when it gets technical or especially on a loose uphill.  On the 4 stroke I just twist the throttle and torque the blue tank up the hill.  The CR250 has to work the clutch something fierce while keeping body position perfect.  If not, the front will either come up, or the back will just roost and lose traction.  From what I have read/heard, the newer, trail focused 2 strokes minimize this to a degree, especially the 300s which have a lot of low end torque.  The 426 weighs about 50 lbs more than the CR so it feels like it stays planted a lot better, deflecting less off of things.  

Before his 450 4 stroke died, my buddy preferred his CR450F over his CR250 in most Michigan situations, it was more forgiving, or at least easier to ride, especially at the end of the day when it is hard to keep focused.  The CR250 requires a finer attention to detail, and needs to be actively ridden, vs just chilling and rolling on and off the throttle which can be done on the 450.  For some reason, the CR250 tires him out more than the 450.  I think it is because the 250 2 stroke has more hit, and requires more rider input to keep the front wheel down, and going straight.  The 4 stroke is just smoother overall, despite the increased weight.  

I do not have any personal input for the 250F vs 450F dilemma, but the vast majority of 4 stroke bikes seem to be 450Fs so it can't totally just be the "cool thing to do".  The weight difference between a 450 and 250 4 stroke is minimal, so I think it really has more to do with the reciprocating mass and differences in horsepower giving a completely different ride charactistic.

So after a wall of text, the big bikes definitely have a place, but so do the smaller displacement.  I'd let your riding style dictate your bike choice.  If you ride without wanting to essentially micro-manage everything (clutch, throttle, body position, brakes, etc) and just chill, go with a 4 stroke.  If you want to ride more "actively", requiring a lot more rider input, go with a 2 stroke.

• Like 2

Very well said and thanx for the input,my preference is the 2t because of the more involvement.I had a ttr125 and it got boring real quick but I'm thinking about getting into hardscrambles and am leaning towards the 250f.

I ride a yz250f (with a rekluse) for woods, havent found anything it cant do around this state at least. Like that its light too. Only times I really feel disadvantaged on 250f is when I am riding MX with 450s lol. I mean I pass someone in a corner, then come the long straightaway they get back past. Only spot where the HP is worth it to me. I haven't rode a 300 2t much, but the little I (a 2011 ktm 300xc) it was pretty fun and I could probably get used to that in the woods too. Finally, a 250 2t with a few trail goodies probably would be OK....I believe I'd want a heavy flywheel though. 

Hey Tgun111 - The new SR189 from SSR Motorsports may be a perfect fit for you. It is a true mid size bike with full size features. Here's a link below where you can check out DirtBike Magazines honest review of the SR150 & SR189. The article accurately cites the bikes plus and minus. Note - the rear nitrogen charged shocks are adjustable but do not have remote reservoirs as stated and the SR189 fork tubes are 43mm not 37mm. Mike from MoM

www.facebook.com/motosofmichigan

http://www.ssrmotorsports.com/store/dirtbike/sr189.php

I have been riding kx 250 2 strokes in Michigan for 15 years love them. First one was a 99 now I have a 2006. My fist bike was a new 99 dr 350 I rode for a while until I got to ride a friends 97 cr250r. A month later I had a 2 stroke the 99 kx. Tech-care did the suspension on the 2006 for me and was great as long as I was at the track or was riding balls out in the woods but for the trail a fast B rider set up for me is to stiff for the trails. So I am putting the stock springs back in now that I don't race anymore. For me the biggest advantage of a four stroke over a two stroke on Michigan trail is fuel millage. We used have  drop gas on some trails hide them in the bushes so we could make the loops on the 2 strokes but the guys with the four stroke didn't. But for me a 2smoker is still my preferred machine. Lots of sand in Michigan and I much prefer a light bike in a sandy corner than a heavy nose diving tank. And I don't care what anybody says 250 2 strokes have plenty of power in the sand. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

I have been riding kx 250 2 strokes in Michigan for 15 years love them. First one was a 99 now I have a 2006. My fist bike was a new 99 dr 350 I rode for a while until I got to ride a friends 97 cr250r. A month later I had a 2 stroke the 99 kx. Tech-care did the suspension on the 2006 for me and was great as long as I was at the track or was riding balls out in the woods but for the trail a fast B rider set up for me is to stiff for the trails. So I am putting the stock springs back in now that I don't race anymore. For me the biggest advantage of a four stroke over a two stroke on Michigan trail is fuel millage. We used have  drop gas on some trails hide them in the bushes so we could make the loops on the 2 strokes but the guys with the four stroke didn't. But for me a 2smoker is still my preferred machine. Lots of sand in Michigan and I much prefer a light bike in a sandy corner than a heavy nose diving tank. And I don't care what anybody says 250 2 strokes have plenty of power in the sand. Just my 2 cents.

Hey Kaw-rider - As living legend Jeff Fredette has mulitple JackPine Enduro wins aboard KDX 200/220's I think your sentiments are well founded!

• 1 month later...

KTM 300 2 stroke is about perfect IMHO...

light,,, will lug and as fast as anything on the trail

& as dependable as a hammer...

Id argue that a 300 is even overkill for a large majority of our trails lol. I know you can lug it, but I just dont think the power it has is often REALLY needed. Im gonna stand by a 250F. Never once has it not had the power for anything here. Even with my overweight azz on it. 

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF

I was looking at those 300 as well but I went with a kx250f partly because I'm new and really won't be able to use the power plus it's still very strong, plenty to get in trouble. It's still really light, is uncorked from factory so saves much of the work and money and it was a nice promotion by kawasaki I couldn't pass up lol. Looking forward to getting it up in the trails fist time soon! I will miss some comforts like estart mainly but I'd like to be competitive down the road and nobody complains about too light lol.

I was looking at those 300 as well but I went with a kx250f partly because I'm new and really won't be able to use the power plus it's still very strong, plenty to get in trouble. It's still really light, is uncorked from factory so saves much of the work and money and it was a nice promotion by kawasaki I couldn't pass up lol. Looking forward to getting it up in the trails fist time soon! I will miss some comforts like estart mainly but I'd like to be competitive down the road and nobody complains about too light lol.

I think you'll like it. It'll be plenty for what we have.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF

Well have ride some buddy's bikes and have come to a conclusion..250 4t is easy to ride and fast for tight michigan trails..but for fun factor nothing beats a good 125 2t set up for the woods.but your still going to be faster on the 4t..I got my 2t now look in for good deal on 250 4t..best of both worlds.lol