shift shaft on a 04 yz 450f

7 replies to this topic
  • dirtlife1990

Posted January 08, 2016 - 06:37 PM

My splines on my shift shaft are worn out how do I replace the shaft and I hope I do not half to split case I can't afford that and I'll be taking it to a shop plz give me info on this thanks

• SAKs YAMAHA

Posted January 08, 2016 - 07:34 PM

Pull the right side outer case and remove the clutch assembly. After that it should be self explanatory.

• mikedabike

Posted January 08, 2016 - 10:02 PM

Pretty easy fix. Get a manual. Make sure you get the kick starter gear spring in correctly.

• dirtlife1990

Posted January 08, 2016 - 10:08 PM

This is the shaft that the shifter sits on to change gears the splines are worn down on them and justt can't afford to split the case

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtlife1990

Posted January 08, 2016 - 10:10 PM

Pull the right side outer case and remove the clutch assembly. After that it should be self explanatory.

So I don't half to split the case to change out the shift shaft that my shifter goes on ?

• SAKs YAMAHA

Posted January 08, 2016 - 10:18 PM

So I don't half to split the case to change out the shift shaft that my shifter goes on ?

I am pretty sure you only have to pull the outer case and the clutch assembly. Definitely get a manual, it tells you everything. Yamaha manuals are the best, better that most military manuals. Also Google and YouTube are great.

• grayracer513

Posted January 09, 2016 - 08:09 AM

No.  Just remove the clutch assembly.

• dirtlife1990

Posted January 09, 2016 - 02:04 PM

No. Just remove the clutch assembly.

Thank god that makes me feel better ...it shouldn't be that much to replace it I think like 39 for the part plus labor

No. Just remove the clutch assembly.

Thank god that makes me feel better ...it shouldn't be that much to replace it I think like 39 for the part plus labor

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.