Flatland Racing Products

16 replies to this topic
  • ColdChillin

Posted March 03, 2004 - 02:36 AM

I just installed a Flatland Racing skid plate & radiator guards on my '04 WR450 last night. I must say that I am very impressed with the quality of their products. The welds looked great and everything fit perfectly. I am very happy with that purchase for sure. Those rad guards are serious I tell ya......... :)

• ddialogue

Posted March 03, 2004 - 03:56 AM

The rad guards are nice looking but let me tell you from experience that they are SOFT! 5mph tip over in a wash pushed the radiator and guard back almost an inch. I've looked at adding the works connection rad braces to help support them. The Ty Davis braces look even better but there may be some clearance issues with aftermarket tanks. I had them off two days ago to bend everything back into shape and I can bend the guards with my hands. I am a little disappointed with them. Ask Live_to_Ride (Chris) about his slow mph tip over that ended his day because his Flatland guards crunched and popped the radiator.

Just my .02 worth. :)

• ColdChillin

Posted March 03, 2004 - 04:13 AM

Man that sux!!! These things came HIGHLY recommended from the guy who answered the phone at TT!!!! I was gonna order the braces (works connection) in addition to the guards and he advised me that there was no need with the Flatland Guards?!?!?!? Now I'm a little ticked over that,....and here I was thinkin' I'd made a smart purchase. :)

• ddialogue

Posted March 03, 2004 - 05:11 AM

Just start thinking about some rad braces to go along with them and you'll be fine. I'm sure the other choices on the market (Devol, etc.) bend as easily as these do.

• yamaboy233

Posted March 03, 2004 - 06:38 AM

I have the Ty Davis rad. guards on my 2003 and 2004 WR 450's.And there is no problem with fit or with an aftermarket tank. I have the IMS Zip-Ty 3.1 gal tank on both bikes. And those guards are the best out there.

• ColdChillin

Posted March 03, 2004 - 06:41 AM

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna order some braces in the near future. Probably the works connection braces.

• ddialogue

Posted March 03, 2004 - 07:04 AM

I have the Ty Davis rad. guards on my 2003 and 2004 WR 450's.And there is no problem with fit or with an aftermarket tank. I have the IMS Zip-Ty 3.1 gal tank on both bikes. And those guards are the best out there.

Good to know, Yamaboy233. Thanks! :)

• JVP

Posted March 03, 2004 - 07:47 AM

The Works Radiator Braces are strong and work well with the stock tank.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamaboy233

Posted March 03, 2004 - 08:45 AM

Yeah, but with the Ty Davis braces you dont have to mount them to the tank, like the works connection braces.

• SBG

Posted March 03, 2004 - 09:09 AM

Here's my 2 cents. They are the best setup on the market, and the newer ones come with a new gusset added. My original set was returned to Flatlands because I mentioned that they collapsed during a low speed tipover in the rocks. They added the new gussets to mine, but I wanted more. So I had a friend bring them to a welder, and for $40 more bucks, I now have bomb proof guards. I'll post pics later. This guy gusseted all the mount points so they won't fold, and he removed the Flatland gussets with longer gussets that almost run the entire length of the top and bottom of the guards. This will prevent the face of the guard from crushing. After having all this done, I have even thought of a newer way to prevent the face from collapsing. The thing with production stuff like this, is it is made cheap and fast, even if they are the best, the custom approach I took is what will not only work best, but will make me the happiest. So I have the most expensive rad guards, but if they protect better than the original Flatlands, I'm happy.

• ddialogue

Posted March 03, 2004 - 02:51 PM

Bring on the photos!! :)

• ColdChillin

Posted March 03, 2004 - 03:25 PM

Bring on the photos!! :D

I second that !!!!! :)

• SBG

Posted March 04, 2004 - 06:45 AM

I'll take some tonight. Real late though. Try to have them up by tomorrow.

• AkRider

Posted March 05, 2004 - 07:48 AM

The Flatland radiator gaurds are gaurds not braces. I fell
over in a rut and bent my radiator all to hell with them on. After that I put on a set Works braces along with the gaurds and it seem to be a lot stronger. I had to do a little bit of modificatoin to get them to fit but it was easy. There is a big market for a heavy duty set up for these. Every Yamaha guy I ride with has bent his radiators and at $275 a side it would be worth spending a few bucks to protect them.

• SBG

Posted March 05, 2004 - 08:01 PM

Okay, this first pic is hard to make out, but it is a top view of the rear portion of the Flatlands guard. I had two very thin gussets welded to both sides of the mounting brace.
Posted Image

This is a top view of the gussets at the front mounting points. One per bolt area.
Posted Image

Here is a pic of the top. I also had this done to the bottom as well.
Posted Image

• ddialogue

Posted March 06, 2004 - 03:35 AM

Very nice! That first picture you posted...Is that the bracket that runs behind the radiator that gussets were added to?

I must have some first generation Flatlands because mine have no gussets on them whatsoever. Thanks for the photos. :)

• SBG

Posted March 06, 2004 - 05:18 AM

Is that the bracket that runs behind the radiator that gussets were added to?

Yes. When I had my slow speed tip over in a boulder field (twice on seperate occasions), that area bent along with the other front mounting tabs and the face of the guard had warped.
Mine originally had NO gussets what so ever. I sent tham back after I mentioned that they got crushed, and they added the corner gussets, which weren't enough in my mind.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.