Full Teardown and Rebuild of my '05 WR 450

3 replies to this topic
  • freestyle250

Posted January 08, 2016 - 07:19 AM

It's been over a year in the making. Since I started working on this I have moved into a new house, bought two new cars, got a new job, and watched as my beard has started showing gray for the first time. I started the teardown at a time when I thought I would be able to focus on it until I finished. Life has a funny way saying "screw that" to any plans you make.

It all started with a camping trip early summer 2014. From the way the bike was running, I knew it was time to do a valve adjustment. This was a big deal. Up until that point, I had owned the bike for 9 years and never had to do anything more complicated than replacing fork oil, or re-jetting my carb. It's been phenomenally reliable, and as a result the sentimental value of this bike is immense for me. When I rolled it up on the stand to start the valve adjustment, I took a minute to look her over. For the first time I actually felt a little bit sad while looking at my bike. She was tired. The plastics were haggard, graphics torn and yellowed, and the drivetrain showing heavy wear. I couldn't let myself even consider selling it to buy a new bike, so that was that. The decision was made. Let's tear it all down, completely, and replace and refresh everything that needs it. 

I didn't have a design in mind when I started out, so I experimented with painting a few parts and doing partial reassembly to see how it looked. I poured through TT forums, looking at pictures of all of your customizations and I concluded that it was going to be black frame and subframe, red engine mounts, new white plastics with a black tank and seat, and a sweet graphics kit (though I had no idea which one yet). With my mind made up, it was time to get my hands dirty.

PHASE 1: Initial Disassembly

Here she is, up on the jack, ready for the procedure to begin. 

IMG_0404.JPG

IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0406.JPG

It wasn't in dire straits, by any means. But as you can see, yellowing of the tank graphics, plastics have several creases and plenty of "character" scratches. 

I finally got it down to the frame and motor.

IMG_0414.JPG

Unfortunately it stayed in this state for a while. Party because of work, but also because I had decided to build a makeshift paint booth out of cardboard in my garage so I could start messing around with colors for the various parts.

PHASE 2: Paint Testing

Here's the booth. As you can see, it made for tight quarters in my single car garage.

IMG_0532.JPG

Priming and painting some parts

IMG_0530.JPG

After trying a couple different colors, when I used black and red on these and put them on the bike to see, the decision to go with those colors was easy

IMG_0541.JPG

PHASE 3: Valve Adjustment

Once I knew which parts were going to be which color, it was time to finish disassembly. I started with the swingers and drivetrain and discovered that an unusually strong rock had been lodged between the chain and guard at the front sprocket. It had been there so long, the rock had grooves worn into it by the chain, and the constant force of the chain trying to push the rock past the guard actually ended up bending the mounting bolt. It was amazed that the rock didn't shatter, and that the mounting bolt didn't just sheer off.

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

I now had the bike completely disassembled

IMG_0562.JPG

So now it was time to adjust the valves. I had never done it before, so this was a fun learning experience. 

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

PHASE 4: Paint

Now on to the tedious work. Since I'm too cheap to pay for someone else to do this for me, I did all the sanding, surface prep, priming, painting, top coating, and baking/curing myself. Getting all of these parts through that process took weeks.

Swingarm

IMG_0571.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG

Frame and Subframe

IMG_2172.JPG

PHASE 5: Reassembly

Before I had painted the frame, I tested the new plastics to make sure everything fit okay

IMG_2124.JPG

IMG_2186.JPG

So, once the frame and subframe had dried, it was time to start pulling everything back together. Thankfully by this time we had moved and I was working after my much coveted after 3 car garage

IMG_2186.JPG

IMG_2202.JPG

So now I had everything except the graphics kit, which I was still back and forth about. The one I wanted was hard to find, so it was a question of whether or not I could be patient. Well, thankfully, with some diligent watching and waiting, the JGR Toyota kit for my '05 popped up on eBay. I bought it immediately and paid extra for faster shipping :-)

It came in the mail yesterday, and I got to work immediately. After a couple hours of arguing with the various pieces, I took a step back and just stood in silence for a moment as I soaked it all in. After over a year of waiting on wondering how it would look when I was done, I am relieved to say I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

IMG_2736.JPG

IMG_2741.JPG

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 08, 2016 - 11:08 AM

Nice... been there and done that with the tear down and rebuild when I had my 2005.   I also documented the process.   It was not as hard as it seemed.   

So are you planning on keeping it another 10 years?  

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • freestyle250

Posted January 08, 2016 - 04:49 PM

Nice... been there and done that with the tear down and rebuild when I had my 2005.   I also documented the process.   It was not as hard as it seemed.   

So are you planning on keeping it another 10 years?  

I'm thinking it will be my son's first big bike in 5-6 years. Who knows how long it lasts after that :-)

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 13, 2016 - 08:28 AM

I'm thinking it will be my son's first big bike in 5-6 years. Who knows how long it lasts after that :-)

5-6 years is nothing in the life of a WR.  They last damn near forever if you do just a little to take care of them.

Here are the pics of mine when I rebuilt it after 7 years of hard riding.   I even have the final price sheet at the end.

http://www.pdis.com/stuff/WR450

I hope to be back on a wr soon.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.