Wr450 crank breather fix

5 replies to this topic
  • brayjay

Posted January 07, 2016 - 07:24 PM

Hey everyone.  I bought an 08 wr450f for my son with 1500 miles on it. He's 14 and is beside himself with excitement to ride it but we still have three months of winter left. Poor kid. When I got it home I tore into it a bit and greased all the suspension bearings and installed a JD jetting kit in it. I did a bit of forum searching and re routed the crankcase breather hose from the bottom of the air box to the top off the air box where the AIS hose was plugged into. Question is I also read about routing the carb vent hoses into the airbox as they too can apperently cause water to be sucked into the engine on this bike. Should I ??   I ride an xr650R and have never had to worry about the crank breather or the carb vent hoses so that's why I am asking.  Thanks.

Edited by brayjay, January 07, 2016 - 07:47 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 08, 2016 - 07:12 AM

Yes you need to do this on all carb'd bikes

• brayjay

Posted January 08, 2016 - 10:07 AM

Hey thanks for the reply and I will look into routing the carb vent hoses also.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted January 08, 2016 - 06:28 PM

Route the vents, AND put filters on them

Do not re-route the overflow 

Hey thanks for the reply and I will look into routing the carb vent hoses also.

• brayjay

Posted January 08, 2016 - 09:28 PM

So from what I have read is to re route the two hoses that go straight up off the tees and over the top of the carb which I am assuming are the air vents. Is this correct? Also what type of filter? 

• KennyMc

Posted January 09, 2016 - 08:17 AM

So from what I have read is to re route the two hoses that go straight up off the tees and over the top of the carb which I am assuming are the air vents. Is this correct? Also what type of filter?

I've used these. Great product.

http://www.7602racing.com/product-p/t6-carb-filter.htm

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.