timing or carb??

3 replies to this topic
  • Valkman

Posted March 02, 2004 - 08:15 PM

This weekend I did the free mods. "air cleaner snorkel, grey wire and GYT-R exhaust insert. I went out riding today and my bike now runs like CRAP!! When I let off the throttle the engine idle speed stays way up for a couple of seconds before finally coming to a low idle. Also, it seems to backfire quite often now. Is the timing off since the grey wire was cut?? OR, do I now have to re-jet the carb?? OR, could it be a combo of the both? Has anyone else had this issue with their bike after doing the "free mods" on the WR450?? I hope you all can give me some good advice. :D :D :)

• Agent

Posted March 02, 2004 - 10:53 PM

Yeah, your bike is running lean now. My bike did the same thing after doing the mods. I am in the process of figuring out the jetting so I am not sure what the exact solution is but you can read more than you ever wanted to know about jetting in this thread: http://www.thumperta...5/o/all/fpart/1

A good place to start is by picking up the James Dean jet kit found on this site.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jchantzWR400F

Posted March 03, 2004 - 03:33 AM

Without a doubt jetting, not timing. Take a look at the "Jetting Q's" section.

• WR450F_RDR

Posted March 03, 2004 - 05:00 AM

No need to adjust timing after the mods, just modify your jetting. You might want to take a look at some of the Thumper talk members signature line to see what setup they are running, but the idea is: 168-170 main jet, 45-48 pilot jet and about 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 turns on the pilot air jet screw.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.