01 wr 426 street legal california

10 replies to this topic
  • masdomonkey

Posted January 06, 2016 - 12:33 PM

I got one and i want to make it street legal for as cheap as possible, ive read that i need blinkers, hi-beam switch and a brake stop light switch and a horn, i dont know where to start and was wondering if anyone had any tips, i also have the stock pipe that i need to plug up to quiet it down cause its LOUD but i dont know what plugs are good for quietness

• Chas_M

Posted January 06, 2016 - 02:35 PM

Good luck on getting a street plate on a dirt bike in CA. Some folks have managed to do so but this has not been legal to do so since January 31, 2004 in CA.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 06, 2016 - 07:20 PM

If the 8th digit in your VIN number is an "8" or a "C", you cannot get a CA plate.

The first two years of WR's were red sticker......

• masdomonkey

Posted January 06, 2016 - 08:40 PM

If the 8th digit in your VIN number is an "8" or a "C", you cannot get a CA plate.

last registration was a green sticker back in 11

• Sierra_rider

Posted January 06, 2016 - 09:00 PM

The 426 was a green sticker. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • masdomonkey

Posted January 07, 2016 - 11:19 AM

The 426 was a green sticker.

yup, anything built after August 2003 is red i believe, the month may be wrong but i dont know

• Chas_M

Posted January 07, 2016 - 01:04 PM

You still need a valid on-road emission sticker, plus a suitable VIN #.

• Sierra_rider

Posted January 07, 2016 - 01:09 PM

Some guys get lucky with getting a dirtbike plated, but I decided it was much easier for me just to get a factory plated bike. 

• masdomonkey

Posted January 08, 2016 - 12:17 AM

You still need a valid on-road emission sticker, plus a suitable VIN #.

Say i get it registered in oregon and brought it back here, then when the reg go's bad i re reg it but in California, any thoughts?

• Damper

Posted January 08, 2016 - 04:45 AM

It's funny how here in Australia It doesn't matter as all Wr 250, 426 and 440 are street Leagal and come out factory fitted ready for the road.... I know mates that rego their WR then throw the rego plate on their YZ and hit the streets without a care. The cops over her don't really care too much except if their bike cops.

CA must be one of those backwards states like The QLD is for Australia...

• Sierra_rider

Posted January 08, 2016 - 07:54 AM

Say i get it registered in oregon and brought it back here, then when the reg go's bad i re reg it but in California, any thoughts?

Not unless it has >7k miles on the odometer.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.