New to me 2014 YZ450F

12 replies to this topic
  • TN Dirt Rider

Posted January 06, 2016 - 11:08 AM

Here is the bike I just picked up today.  Should make a nice complement to my 08 YZ250 (295).  My hope is to keep both bikes for a while, decide if I like the smoker or the 450 better and then sell both to buy a brand new one.  But who knows, maybe I'll just keep the two I have so that I have both flavors.

Previous owner said it has "about" 10 hours on it.  I have got the Power Tuner showing up tomorrow so we'll see how close his estimate was on the time.  I always double the hours when somebody is estimating how much they rode a bike.

Bike is almost all stock.  The PO did prefer 7/8" bars so he has those mounted, but gave me a set of 1-1/8" pro tapers that have the oem bar mounts on them.  He also has an FMF silencer with S.A. that he gave me, said it was too loud for his taste.  Otherwise, the bike is very clean and runs great.  Can't wait to wring it out in a couple of weeks when we have a club ride at a small local MX track that also has a 3-5 mile woods loop.

[FE607A9B-7798-4F36-8D36-7FA673815E05_zps

7E6F2038-621A-49BB-BF9F-D2851D97A238_zps

I'll eventually change out the graphics to remove the p.o.'s name, but I'll wait until I'm sure that I'm keeping the bike.  I'd really like to put some yellow plastic on it and replicate the 60th anniversary look.

Edited by TN Dirt Rider, January 06, 2016 - 11:09 AM.

• 15thumper

Posted January 06, 2016 - 03:16 PM

FYI you can reset the hours with a tuner

• TN Dirt Rider

Posted January 06, 2016 - 03:19 PM

FYI you can reset the hours with a tuner

Ha!!!  Didn't know that.  He didn't have a tuner, so hopefully what I see will be accurate.  Given the condition of the bike I don't think he lied about it.

• 15thumper

Posted January 06, 2016 - 03:21 PM

No doubt good looking bike, I was just messing with my tuner other day and found that option to reset

• TN Dirt Rider

Posted January 07, 2016 - 05:45 PM

So does the engine timer on the tuner "roll over" after the 999th minute? The manual says the format is mmm:ss, and when I plugged it into my bike today it showed 28:00. I'm assuming it rolled over and that it is actually 1028 minutes, which is just over 17 hours. That would make sense given the PO estimated 10 hours, and I never believe those estimates.

• BGoyins

Posted January 07, 2016 - 06:41 PM

Hours: Minutes. 28 hours 0 minutes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 15thumper

Posted January 07, 2016 - 06:47 PM

Yes 28 hours

• TN Dirt Rider

Posted January 07, 2016 - 07:21 PM

Even though the manual states the format is mmm:ss?? 28 hours....I guess that's kinda close to the 10 he estimated. Good thing I always assume people don't give accurate run time on used dirt bikes.

• luckyguy19

Posted January 07, 2016 - 07:45 PM

10,17, or 28 don't sweat it.  These bike are solid if taken care of.  I just did a piston at 110 hours of desert/moto/practice.  Still haven't had to touch the valves.  This bike is durable. 

• TN Dirt Rider

Posted January 08, 2016 - 08:42 AM

You guys were definitely right about the HH:MM.  I ran the bike for 2 min in my garage, hooked it back up to the PT and it now shows 28:02.  Very strange that the manual is incorrect on such a basic matter.  I can see where the HH:MM makes a lot more sense, nobody really needs engine run time broken down to seconds.

Edited by TN Dirt Rider, January 08, 2016 - 08:43 AM.

• BGoyins

Posted January 08, 2016 - 11:18 AM

True. And how could you keep track of all the times it would ,"roll over". Still no one likes to buy a bike that's not accurately represented. But as others stated, it's a tough motor. Maybe to just set your mind at ease check the valve clearances. Then you'll have a good starting point to reference as you put hours on it.

• Monk

Posted January 09, 2016 - 05:07 PM

True. And how could you keep track of all the times it would ,"roll over". Still no one likes to buy a bike that's not accurately represented. But as others stated, it's a tough motor. Maybe to just set your mind at ease check the valve clearances. Then you'll have a good starting point to reference as you put hours on it.

You would have to have at least 1000hrs before it might rollover. Mind didn't do it at the 100hr mark...

• BGoyins

Posted January 09, 2016 - 06:14 PM

You would have to have at least 1000hrs before it might rollover. Mind didn't do it at the 100hr mark...

Righto. That's why the tuner manual stating mmm:ss would be wrong. The hour meter "rolling over" every 17 hours would be rediculous to track. Is that the same point you were making? :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.