wr450 power loss with lights switched on

10 replies to this topic
  • deanoyzfmania

Posted January 05, 2016 - 02:46 PM

Hey all, i got a problem with a wr450 ive just brought. Once it warms up i started getting mental popping and banging then within seconds bad bogging down like was running out of fuel. but i descovered it gets better ish when i turned the headlamp to dip from main beam and when i turned the lights off she ripped away again!

So engine earth, stator,regulater! Im not sure but hopeing somone may have had this issue ;-)

• Dualsportwr450

Posted January 05, 2016 - 04:05 PM

What year is the bike. Is it fuel injected and is it the stock light or aftermarket

• yu700909

Posted January 05, 2016 - 08:35 PM

check rectifier

• deanoyzfmania

Posted January 06, 2016 - 01:34 AM

What year is the bike. Is it fuel injected and is it the stock light or aftermarket

Yer sorry, it 03, so carb and its prob an aftermarket lamp. 

Will test rectifier next

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 06, 2016 - 07:19 AM

There is a harness connection coming from the stator that gets corroded and can cause this problem

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OUTERLIMITS

Posted January 07, 2016 - 07:04 PM

I had an '08 that I upgraded the stator and added a trailtech reg/rec to.  First time I tried it I had the same problem.  On a modified stator all the power is unified and goes to the battery and on Yamahas the spark is also from the battery.  I had hooked up the blue wire on the reg/rec and should not have as it limited the charge to the battery.  The lights drained the battery down and then the motor could not get enough spark.

Yer sorry, it 03, so carb and its prob an aftermarket lamp. 

Will test rectifier next

• deanoyzfmania

Posted January 08, 2016 - 01:13 AM

Thanks for that info! although I don't have a blue wire from my reg/rec, the single wire plug is black and if I unplug it I get charging at 14.2 at idle, but still no charge with lights on, but if I raise engine revs I get 15volts!

What would the black wire be? assume an earth !

Thank you

I had an '08 that I upgraded the stator and added a trailtech reg/rec to.  First time I tried it I had the same problem.  On a modified stator all the power is unified and goes to the battery and on Yamahas the spark is also from the battery.  I had hooked up the blue wire on the reg/rec and should not have as it limited the charge to the battery.  The lights drained the battery down and then the motor could not get enough spark.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted January 08, 2016 - 07:28 AM

Thanks for that info! although I don't have a blue wire from my reg/rec, the single wire plug is black and if I unplug it I get charging at 14.2 at idle, but still no charge with lights on, but if I raise engine revs I get 15volts!

What would the black wire be? assume an earth !

Thank you

If it is the stock reg/rec then I would imagine this isn't the issue.  What I like to do is charge my battery on a tender and let it sit a half hour.  Then measure the voltage with the engine off.  Should be somewhere around 12.5-13--ish.  Then measure at idle and it should be more, about the 14.2 that you have measured.  If you turn your lights on at idle it should drop only slightly.  If it drops back down to below what you measured from the battery with the engine off then it could be something simple...as you said maybe something being grounded.  Thoroughly check through all of your lighting wires and switch wiring.  If good, it may indeed be a problem with your reg/rec or maybe even stator.  Is your lighting and elec system stock?

• deanoyzfmania

Posted January 10, 2016 - 08:14 AM

Ok, thank you for your replys. I have now replaced the reg/rec and with the single black wire plugged in i have no charging! If i unplug it i get charging, but with the lights off and engine revs raised the charging slowly climbs right up to 17volts! light on dip beam climbs to around 15.5 volts and with main beam on more normal around 14.5 volts!

Does anyone know what the single black wire is for and whether it is supposed to be plugged in?

Thank you for any further info .....

Edit. I have just checked and although I have the charging situation as above! I have found in the manual that the black lead from rec/reg should be plugged in.

But I have no resistance in the white wire to stator! Does this mean I need a new stator even though I have up to 17volts coming out of it ?????

Edited by deanoyzfmania, January 10, 2016 - 01:30 PM.

• Dualsportwr450

Posted January 10, 2016 - 03:31 PM

The rectifier limits voltages to the electrical system the stator is the power generator as long as the rectifier is metering the voltages to no more than 14.5 volts you should be good. Check at high Rpms too at the battery you don't want real high voltage over 14.5 it will blow up your battery

• mizzle415

Posted January 11, 2016 - 05:00 PM

Different year/ model. but In case this is your issue, I have got a 2011 WR450F with a Baja Kit for your aftermarket headlight/blinkers, etc. Upon test ride, I had the same exact issues you are describing with horrible backfire, loss of power, etc., only when the headlight is switched on.  Turned out I needed to unplug a grey 3-pin factory wiring harness that was located behind the headlight.  Once unplugged, the bike ran like a champ, and still does...

I hope it is as simple a fix for you.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.