Yz450fx question

66 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted January 25, 2016 - 07:27 AM

Well, then, that clears that up. No he-man.

¿Quien es mas Macho?

abe75a952887a7f148ff2e9490e390d7_zps7ac9

• drt_jumper

Posted February 05, 2016 - 02:12 PM

Damn, go away on vacation and all kinds of craziness happens. My "perfectly" setup 13 450f was perfect for me in the fact that I had it about as good as it was going to get for tight east coast woods racing, we are talking sub 30" wide singletrack, lots of off camber, roots and lots and lots of rocks. The issues with my 13 were more from the lack of a wide ratio trans and always being between gears 1st-2nd in the tight stuff, as well as it didn't steer as quickly as I would have liked even raising the forks 5mm. The other reason I went with the FX is for the button, im short 28" inseam so dead engine starts were a pain on the 450 when I would race solo and didn't have someone to grab a stool from me after I took off. Basically I got my 13 as close as I could to make it the perfect big bore woods weapon for me but felt the fx gave me a platform to start with that was even closer to perfect for woods. I am still dialing in the fx and will be for a little bit as I fine tune things. It handles better than my 13 did from a steering standpoint and feels lighter even though they are both very close to the same weight now that the fx has gone on a diet. Add in the fact of the button, wide ratio trans and it is now much closer than my 13 was to being a perfect woods weapon for me. The heavier flywheel also makes traction easier to find then on my 13 as well. 

I am by no means a noob to riding or working on motorcycles (been a mechanic since 97') but I am new to thumper talk (lurked a long long time)

Hopefully this answers some questions.

Adam

In other words, what Grayracer said was correct...lol

• The Anvil

Posted February 06, 2016 - 08:07 AM

Anybody put bar risers on their fx? Brp makes a triple tree set up that looks nice, but is expensive. Brp also makes a cheap insert type riser that looks skeptical in durability standards. Any body done this yet?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KennyMc

Posted February 06, 2016 - 02:55 PM

Anybody put bar risers on their fx? Brp makes a triple tree set up that looks nice, but is expensive. Brp also makes a cheap insert type riser that looks skeptical in durability standards. Any body done this yet?

You don't get the triple tree part Rick, just bar clamps. You think the $210 one was expensive? That also includes the frame tube bracket for the damper.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1454799353.277724.jpg

• The Anvil

Posted February 06, 2016 - 04:04 PM

You don't get the triple tree part Rick, just bar clamps. You think the $210 one was expensive? That also includes the frame tube bracket for the damper.
attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1454799353.277724.jpg

The stock triple tree top has four large holes for rubber mounts. Looks like you might need the triple tree top from brp to make this setup work

• KennyMc

Posted February 06, 2016 - 05:00 PM

The stock triple tree top has four large holes for rubber mounts. Looks like you might need the triple tree top from brp to make this setup work

There are 4 mounts so you can move the bars forward to stretch out the bike. I think the bike comes with the bars in the back position?

• The Anvil

Posted February 06, 2016 - 05:23 PM

I understand the factory rubber mount system. Seems to me that when you add the taller brp setup you will add leverage to the rubber mount system and could fail. But hey, who am i, if brp says it's good it must be, they never made anything that wasn't perfection, right? Bit of sarcasm added for argument sake

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.