• Steering and chassis geometry dialed in for off-road

I was asking the OP.

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2016 - 04:51 PM

I answered. That's OK, right?

• BolinJrsPit Crew

Posted January 22, 2016 - 06:33 PM

I was asking the OP.

You ask on here it's open to whomever feels they have the answer. Suggestion, pm the person you want an answer from.

Edited by BolinJrsPit Crew, January 22, 2016 - 06:35 PM.

• KennyMc

Posted January 22, 2016 - 09:45 PM

Tough crowd :D

• Monk

Posted January 22, 2016 - 09:49 PM

Well grayracer513 is more qualified then most. I take his answers over most any day...

• RockerYZWR

Posted January 23, 2016 - 08:22 AM

^^ I totally agree, but if I may play devil's advocate for a moment...
With respect to the question of a "perfectly" set up '13 YZ450F vs the new 450FX, gray's list doesn't really offer anything. It's really a simple list of basic 450FX attributes. The advantages of a WR gearbox and electric start are rider and terrain dependent, and the rest of the stuff would likely be part of a perfectly set-up offroad 450F. I'd like to ride both back to back to see what's most apparent.

• grayracer513

Posted January 23, 2016 - 09:35 AM

^^ I totally agree, but if I may play devil's advocate for a moment...
With respect to the question of a "perfectly" set up '13 YZ450F vs the new 450FX, gray's list doesn't really offer anything. It's really a simple list of basic 450FX attributes. The advantages of a WR gearbox and electric start are rider and terrain dependent, and the rest of the stuff would likely be part of a perfectly set-up offroad 450F.

You are right about it being a rider's choice kind of list, but those are the essential differences, and they are included at no extra expense, so if that's where you are headed with it, you have a head start, so to speak.  And as far as there being nothing on there you can't do with a YZ, remember that the e-start would be a $1000+ conversion if it can be done without swapping crankcases. Again, that depends on what that means to you. 

But other than that, if the question is whether it's worth the price as a better off-road racer out of the box than a bike you already own and have done a lot of work with, you have a point; it may not be a giant step up from what you have.  That, of course, is a subjective question only the person involved can answer.

• KennyMc

Posted January 23, 2016 - 10:41 AM

Well grayracer513 is more qualified then most. I take his answers over most any day...

That's just embarrassing :smirk:

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted January 23, 2016 - 11:04 AM

Nothing against GR, but I wanted to hear the OP's point of view.  First, what he considered the perfect woods setup on his YZ450F to be and then why the YZ450FX is even better than that. 

Does GR have an FI YZ450F set up perfectly for WOODS ?  Haven't seen him mention it.  I think he does more desert riding.  I ride woods, woods and more woods.   

• Monk

Posted January 23, 2016 - 11:36 AM

Nothing against GR, but I wanted to hear the OP's point of view. First, what he considered the perfect woods setup on his YZ450F to be and then why the YZ450FX is even better than that.

Does GR have an FI YZ450F set up perfectly for WOODS ? Haven't seen him mention it. I think he does more desert riding. I ride woods, woods and more woods.

10 posts from the OP are credible to you? I know what your asking but with no history from the OP, what are you really going to gain?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 23, 2016 - 12:09 PM

Nothing against GR, but I wanted to hear the OP's point of view.  First, what he considered the perfect woods setup on his YZ450F to be and then why the YZ450FX is even better than that. 

Does GR have an FI YZ450F set up perfectly for WOODS ?  Haven't seen him mention it.  I think he does more desert riding.  I ride woods, woods and more woods.

I understood your wish to hear the OP's point of view entirely.  Moreover, I had faith in your ability to filter my opinions as mine, too, for that matter, and I saw no harm in putting another two cents in the pot.

My '06 is in fact "perfectly" (nothing is ever really finished, you know?) set up for me and the riding I do, which is desert because that's the off-road we have here.  However, I see that you have not yet revised the mental image of SoCal desert racing as some featureless flat land.  It's an inaccurate impression.  True, no trees, and very little mud (although when there is mud, it's the real deal), but everything else is there. 

Have a look, and bear in mind, this isn't a "trail ride", it's a race course.  (the "fast stuff" is pretty much over with at around 4 minutes):

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted January 23, 2016 - 02:47 PM

10 posts from the OP are credible to you? I know what your asking but with no history from the OP, what are you really going to gain?

I'll judge that when he replies.  Could be an expert.  Could be a newbie.

• KennyMc

Posted January 23, 2016 - 03:17 PM

Went and sat on the new WR and the FX. Can't decide which one will be the stable mate to my 350EXC. Only advantage is the ability to get a plate for the WR.

• mobgma

Posted January 24, 2016 - 09:43 AM

Anyone know where to get bar risers for this bike? Not just any bar risers but ones that move the bars up and also away from you rather than the typical risers offered by most.

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2016 - 09:59 AM

Relative to the stock bars, the Windham bend bars from Pro Taper does both those things; up and forward. 

• mobgma

Posted January 24, 2016 - 02:55 PM

Relative to the stock bars, the Windham bend bars from Pro Taper does both those things; up and forward. 

How about risers?

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2016 - 07:24 PM

I don't pay too much attention to them myself.  Never cared for them.

• KennyMc

Posted January 24, 2016 - 10:16 PM

I don't pay too much attention to them myself. Never cared for them.

No Damper? He-man :moon:

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2016 - 10:24 PM

What do risers have to do with dampers?  I run a Scotts. But not in a sub mount.

• KennyMc

Posted January 24, 2016 - 11:44 PM

What do risers have to do with dampers? I run a Scotts. But not in a sub mount.

Well, then, that clears that up. No he-man.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.