09 YZ450F rear rim questions.

5 replies to this topic
  • kal1fornia

Posted January 04, 2016 - 05:30 PM

I just rode this past weekend and broke my rear hub.  The rear spocket bolts got loose and the hub ended up breaking because the bolts ended up falling out except one.  Anywaysss, I have looked at some conversion charts because I am trying to see what rear wheel will work for my 09.  The conversion charts were a little confusing to me.  I am planning on buy a used one off ebay or craigslist so I want to know if any older wheels will work.

My initial plan was to use an 18' wheel from my dads 2011 wr250 but when I tried to fit it I quickly found out that the rear axle is a different size.  Is there anyway around this?  Like if I bought a smaller axle?  Or is that not recommended.  

Please let me know.  Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0059.jpg

• bk29

Posted January 05, 2016 - 09:14 AM

I think you need a 09 or newer yzf wheel. Your swing arm and brake carrier are also too big for the small axle. For some reason the new wr and fx Yamahas use the old small axle set up.

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2016 - 09:27 AM

The rears that will fit are any of those from an '09 or later YZ450F only.  At this point, there is no conversion bearing that I'm aware of to use the larger axle in the older hub.  If you want an 18" rim, you'll have to buy one and a spoke set and lace it up.

The WR and FX models are not expected to fall out of the sky from 60 feet up repeatedly each time they are ridden, so it was probably not considered necessary to convert them to the 25mm axle.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kal1fornia

Posted January 05, 2016 - 09:49 AM

Thanks for the quick replys. So 09 or newer rear rim....or I could just buy a new hub. Can I reuse the old spokes?

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2016 - 10:45 AM

Can I reuse the old spokes?

Not if you are building an 18" rim, no.  They'd be too long.

Reusing spokes when replacing a rim is less advisable the older the spokes are, and/or the worse the damage, if any, to the original rim was.  New ones aren't that expensive. 

• kal1fornia

Posted January 05, 2016 - 10:53 AM

New hub and spokes seem the cheapest option. I think I'll just go with that. Thanks again for the help.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.