timing chain

11 replies to this topic
  • Bill Birge

Posted January 04, 2016 - 04:36 PM

Has any one used the new timing chain adjusters for the YZF450? Are they any good? 

• grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2016 - 10:06 PM

Manual adjusters?  Have a link?

Why would there be a need for one? 

• Bill Birge

Posted January 05, 2016 - 04:14 PM

to keep the timing chain tight but not experence the ware and deflection of the hyd. one.

Edited by Bill Birge, January 05, 2016 - 04:19 PM.

• Bill Birge

Posted January 05, 2016 - 04:21 PM

I have a CO. name it's Utah Crankshaft and Short Block impalak@hotmail.com

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2016 - 05:21 PM

The stock adjuster is not hydraulic in the first place, and is rarely the cause of either any failures or any undue wear. It's probably one of the most elegantly simple and effective designs used in any engine ever. It's driven only by a light coil spring, and operates on the solid principal that a worm gear cannot be pushed backward.

The only reason to use a manual adjuster on a YZF is if you were intending to build a very high output engine like a flat track bike using cams and springs much more aggressive than stock. Otherwise it's just something to spend money on and a potential engine failure of it isn't frequently and correctly maintained.

• stevethe

Posted January 06, 2016 - 07:59 AM

There is a very high HP road racing YZ and that is the only one that I know of that must use the manual tensioner. I have been using the stock ones for years with no issues.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bill Birge

Posted January 06, 2016 - 09:02 AM

I have been hearing that you have a lot of timing chain problems and have to replace them or they will jump timing, is that true or not?

• grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2016 - 09:49 AM

Timing chains are like anything else.  Run them until they develop a defect and you'll have trouble.  In all of them that I have seen jump time, one of two things has happened; either a camshaft has completely or partially seized, or the chain has developed stiff and binding links.  Either of these is more likely a result of failure to maintain the oil as needed than of anything else. 

The chain stiffens as a result of foreign material getting between the plates, or from scoring or galling taking place between plates, or from the formation of rust between the plates in engines that tend to sit unused for several weeks while using an oil with poor corrosion inhibition abilities.  I replace my own timing chains every 12-18 months, and I have yet to remove one that has any tight links or significant wear.  I've pulled them out of other people's bikes where there wasn't a single free link left in them.  There's no logic in the assumption that the 12 or 15 cam chains I've replaced were "just lucky" and the others weren't.  There's a pattern, and it has nothing to do with the stock tensioner, and everything to do with lube.

• Bill Birge

Posted January 06, 2016 - 01:18 PM

Thank You   I plan to use Amsoil 10/40 and change regular.

• stevethe

Posted January 06, 2016 - 02:50 PM

I've pulled them out years later and they looked fine.

• grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2016 - 03:10 PM

Yes, so have I.  It's just so cheap and easy to change them that I do as a maintenance operation.  I have a somewhat unscientific "study" going on in the cave-like hovel that passes for my work shop.  My last timing chain has been hanging on a peg there for almost a year and a half with only the residual coating of oil it had on it when I pulled it out.  Next to it hangs a chain from another engine that was starting to stiffen here and there, also with the residual oil that was being used in that one.  Mine is still free and supple, the other has gotten worse just hanging there, which is one of the things that raised the speculation that it could be corrosion related, though there is no rust on it externally.

I've never known exactly what to make of the difference.

• Bill Birge

Posted January 07, 2016 - 07:23 AM

Then I'm not going to even think about it, again thanks for the info.

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.