2009 YZ450F as an all around CO/UT bike?

2 replies to this topic
  • dukeryder

Posted January 04, 2016 - 03:25 PM

Anyone loving their '09 era Yz450F as an all around bike in CO?

Ok, I've done a lot of searching on the 2009 YZ450F but couldn't find too many reports coming from guys out of Colorado or others that ride at altitude.

I've had a a couple 2 strokes over the last 10 years and a few big 4 stroke Enduro/Dual Sports (DRZ400, 525 MXC & XR600).  The best bike I've had so far was a 2008 KTM 300-XC (close ration gear box and much closer to a MX bike than a trail bike) that was built to the hilt for Mountain riding with Slavens everything (Mule kit, Suspension, you name it), but I traded that bike off for a Sled because I always found myself riding my XR-600 way more often (a bike I'm planning on keeping for continued dual sport use). 

The KTM shined in real gnarly single track but it was still kind of tiring to ride, the motor was so different than the Rm250 and KX250 I've had before those bikes loved to rev but the KTM didn't it was all bottom arm jerking power.  The 525MXC felt so docile in comparison to the 300 as well and I regret selling that bike, but I was moving from CA to CO and didn't want to ship it. I've clicked off multiple 100+ mile days on my XR600 of combined road/Jeep Trail & Single Track and could never do that on any of my old 250s or the 300 (maybe a W in a different state of tune, I don't know).  I've decided I just like the smoothness and linear power of a 4 stroke more, but the XR600 is just a tad too heavy for the difficult single track.  I was thinking a 250F would be right up my alley for the lightness, but I've found a few sweet deals on YZ450Fs ($2500 compared to $3500+ for WRs) and thought I could tame it down with a FWW and a Rekluse.  Weight isn't a HUGE deal but the XR600 is a pig at around 300# full of fuel.  

My goal is to have a bike that will be fun to ride at places like Snyder Creek, Rampart Range, and take to Moab and do Amasa Back, Dead Cow etc (kinda afraid to take my Heavy XR600 on those trails in Moab although I did do Slickrock no problem) with the occasional trip to the track

10689674_10203362493054243_5770289311834

Edited by dukeryder, January 04, 2016 - 03:28 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted January 04, 2016 - 05:13 PM

I've never ridden in CO but I have rode pretty much every type of terrain there is on all of my YZ's over the years and they are great do-it-all bikes.  TIght muddy woods, open desert, rocky scab lands, mountain single track, sand dunes, you name it. Jet it for your altitude, set the suspension up for your type of riding, throw a big tank on it and go tear it up! 

• vossman23

Posted January 04, 2016 - 11:44 PM

My 09 450F does everything for me here in So Colo. Pretty much stock and the 2 gallon tank lasts me more than 3 hrs/60 miles of riding mountain trails and fire roads.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.