Throttle stop-What was I thinking?

14 replies to this topic
  • r_dawg1021

Posted March 02, 2004 - 05:26 PM

How much more throttle will I actually gain from the mod? I know it's posted everywhere around here but I havent actually read how much I actually am losing. Maybe it's not even worth it and I am expecting too much.

• Taewa

Posted March 02, 2004 - 05:33 PM

I've read most places that you are only currently getting about 3/4 of the throttle, so you have about a 25% increase...not bad eh? Just got mine cut, but haven't been able to take it out yet...too cold here still :)

• Taewa

Posted March 02, 2004 - 05:42 PM

Here are some directions from the WR250 mods...but are pretty close to same:

The throttle stop on the WRF prevents the slide in the carburetor from opening all the way (limits the throttle to 3/4 throttle). While it exists on both the YZF and the WRF, the size of the stop is smaller on the YZF. Most riders cut down the stock throttle stop to YZF specs (see below). Others have replaced the original throttle stop with the YZF throttle stop (Yamaha part number 5NL-14591-00-00). Many dealers will do this mod as part of the normal setup of this bike. If you buy a new WR250F ask your dealer if they have done this mod.
Procedure
1. Remove the throttle cable cover, which is located on the right hand side of the bike, by removing a single hex head bolt. To access this bolt you have to pull back a small rubber flap (tab) on the throttle cable cap (Figure 1). (See Owner’s Manual page 4-19).
2. The throttle stop screw is located at the rear of the throttle "disk" assembly, and points almost vertically, tilted slightly towards 1 o'clock as you view from the right side of the bike (Figure 2).
3. Using a 4mm hex head wrench, preferably one with a ball head, back out the throttle stop screw. There is Loctite on the threads so the initial going will be tough.
4. The throttle stop screw measures ~1.30" (33mm) while the STEM only measures ~1.10" (28mm).
5. The throttle stop should be cut to a total length of 0.975" (24.765mm) or a stem length of 0.790" (20mm) in order to match the YZF's full travel. Use a hacksaw or Dremel cut-off saw to make the cut. Cut on the long side and then file to the final length, clean off any burrs and provide a slight chamfer around the circumference (Figure 3).
6. Coat the now-bright cut end of the throttle stop with some light grease to guard against corrosion. Put everything together, again using some Loctite on the throttle stop threads.

• SoCal_Chef

Posted March 02, 2004 - 07:36 PM

Maybe it's not even worth it and I am expecting too much.

It is definitely worth it. I would estimate that the gains are slightly greater than 25%.

• YamahaSteve

Posted March 02, 2004 - 08:35 PM

Dude.... cut the screw.... nuf said.

or buy the YZ screw from the shop. I did and it made a BIG difference. Cut (or remove) the grey wire too.

• r_dawg1021

Posted March 04, 2004 - 05:47 AM

I think it's funny how I make a simple post about my conclusion of the throttle stop and I get various types of replies. I was not asking how to do it, I was not asking if I should do it, I was simply saying I need to do it and I now know what the fuss is all about. For those who replied and didnt give directions or tell me 'enough said' thanks for your replies. There are plenty of posts on how to do it and I wasnt trying to beat the issue into the ground.

• yamaharichey

Posted March 04, 2004 - 08:33 AM

Well excuuuuuuse us for trying to help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SBG

Posted March 04, 2004 - 09:11 AM

I gotta say your response is pretty beat man. People rarely go out of their way to help others, and when they do, you should be grateful instead of arrogant. :)

• Disco

Posted March 04, 2004 - 09:58 AM

Ditto on that. This forum is for people who want to share information about their bikes and learn from others. If info isnt what you want, you shouldnt have asked. :)

• jchantzWR400F

Posted March 04, 2004 - 10:20 AM

I think it's funny how I make a simple post about my conclusion of the throttle stop and I get various types of replies.

Your words..."Maybe it's not even worth it and I am expecting too much"

Exactly what conclusion did you come to?

• Scarylong

Posted March 04, 2004 - 10:54 AM

You could try getting to the point a bit faster.
If you seperate the questions from the chaff that might help also.
:)

• YamahaSteve

Posted March 04, 2004 - 04:29 PM

I think it's funny how I make a simple post about my conclusion of the throttle stop and I get various types of replies. I was not asking how to do it, I was not asking if I should do it, I was simply saying I need to do it and I now know what the fuss is all about. For those who replied and didnt give directions or tell me 'enough said' thanks for your replies. There are plenty of posts on how to do it and I wasnt trying to beat the issue into the ground.

Well if all you wanted to do was have an inner monologue with yourself then why did you post to a forum?

Your first post sounded like you were debating on wether you should cut the screw... I responded that you should becasue it makes a pretty big difference...

• r_dawg1021

Posted March 04, 2004 - 05:09 PM

Sorry, re-reading my post did sound like I was being a chump. I guess I was just paranoid that it was gonna turn into a "Throttle screw" how to session and that wasnt what I intended. I appreciate feedback but really all I was looking for was someone to say that I was thinking logical. Flame on.

• GrahamO

Posted March 04, 2004 - 06:50 PM

Flame on.

You're a wiener.

• r_dawg1021

Posted March 04, 2004 - 07:52 PM

I do what I can.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.