Fork seal issues yz450f

11 replies to this topic
  • espkul

Posted January 04, 2016 - 02:37 AM

Hi,

I have a 2015 yz450f which is eating fork seals. I've changed them 3 times in one season, which is way too much.

I used all balls fork seals.

I have had different bikes and never had this problem (also using the all balls fork seals). I use a fork seal driver and align the axle before I tighten (been doing this many times on other bikes)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Regards

espkul

• stevethe

Posted January 04, 2016 - 05:08 AM

My suggestion would be to use a stock or equal to stock fork seal. They are usually made in Japan. However I believe your real problem is a scratch in the tube cutting the seal and making it leak.

My suggestion would be to use a stock or equal to stock fork seal. They are usually made in Japan. However I believe your real problem is likley a scratch in the tube cutting the seal and making it leak.

Edited by stevethe, January 04, 2016 - 05:24 AM.

• asian195

Posted January 04, 2016 - 05:47 AM

Exactly. Check your tubes for any imperfections. If you run in a lot of mud, try installing those neoprene seal savers.

• msgbean

Posted January 04, 2016 - 05:47 AM

I agree with Steve.  A rock may have nicked your tube.  Run a razor blade up and down the fork tube to feel for tiny burrs. 

• stevethe

Posted January 04, 2016 - 06:41 AM

Exactly. Check your tubes for any imperfections. If you run in a lot of mud, try installing those neoprene seal savers.

Good idea ever since I've used them I haven't had any seal issues. In fact I had to change the fork oil because I felt guilty. Even then I didn't change the seals. All good.

• espkul

Posted January 04, 2016 - 06:57 AM

Thank you guys! The strange thing is that both seals blows at app. the same time... each time... So I doubt it is a notch or scratch

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted January 04, 2016 - 06:59 AM

Thank you guys! The strange thing is that both seals blows at app. the same time... each time... So I doubt it is a notch or scratch

We'll be sure you check them and if that's the case you are using crappy seals. Use stock.

• grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2016 - 07:04 AM

1) Check the tubes for scratches anyway.  If your fingernail can feel it, the seals won't like it. 

2) Stop using the cheap seals.  OEM Kayaba (Yamaha) are far better.

3) Keep your forks clean between rides.  Even on the same day.  Any dried mud on them, even water spots, can damage the seals. 

4) Make cleaning the dirt out from under your seals with a business card, etc., a part of your regular maintenance.

• espkul

Posted January 04, 2016 - 07:36 AM

Thanks again, yeah, I guess you get what you pay for... 

I'll start doing that

• billygildark5007

Posted January 04, 2016 - 08:43 AM

Also double check that your seal on the dampening rod isn't filling your outer chamber with the inner chambers oil

Edited by billygildark5007, January 04, 2016 - 08:45 AM.

• GHILL28

Posted January 04, 2016 - 10:07 AM

Use only OEM (NOK) or SKF seals.

Replace the bushings any time you replace the seals.  Again, OEM only.  I get about 15 hours out of bushings on this bike, max.  If I'm riding really aggressively, I get about half that.  The copper layer on the backside of them is 100% gone by the time I pull them out, and the fork action has gone to crap at that point.  I don't think I'm really that hard on the bike, I think modern bushings have just gotten really cheap.

Every time I replace the bushings I give the bushings a light once-over with 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper with some water on them if I'm seeing any vertical scoring to the tubes.  With that fine of a grit you can pretty much feel anything catching the paper that should get more detailed attention.

• espkul

Posted January 05, 2016 - 03:53 AM

15 hours, that's not much...

Haven't replaced the bushing yet. Did it om my yz250, they were gone after 140 hours

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.