Oil Analysis and Time Intervals

7 replies to this topic
  • ster1

Posted January 03, 2016 - 05:51 PM

Hi Folks,

I have a 2004 WR450 that I've had for a few years and has reliable as a stone. Today I drained my oil from my last ride of last year (yeah it sat for a few months, bad me), and I found LOTS of soft metal in there. The oil looked almost like metallic paint, it was so bad. So I think I have a main bearing or something like that that is starting to go. Not a huge deal to rebuild, and now that it's winter, it's a good time, but before I tear into it, I'd like to get a professional opinion. My question is, I'm planning on sending an oil sample to one of the oil analysis services out there and was curious to know if anyone had a recommendation for one? Also, now that I've drained my oil and put in a new filter, I probably need to run it for awhile to get a good enough sample to send out. I didn't save the old oil in a clean container, just drained it like usual. How long should I run it? The last oil in there was in for a week of fairly hard riding and revving the piss out of it in the mountains. I can come close to replicating that on the street, just don't know how long oil needs to be in there to get a reasonable sample for analysis.

The other fairly odd thing is, I didn't see any particulate matter in the filter. I was also not terribly careful, and had it contaminated fairly quickly, and gave up trying to read it. Not really a question there, just a random comment. 

Thanks for your help

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 03, 2016 - 06:44 PM

Pearlesent / reflective debris in the oil visible as you drain it is pretty common on a shared oil motor.

Run it for as long as you can; 10 hours sound right to me.

• stevethe

Posted January 04, 2016 - 06:51 AM

I have heard of these people doing oil testing http://m.blackstone-.../WhyOilAnalysis

However if you do take it apart check everything as in crank piston cam and all.

• ster1

Posted January 04, 2016 - 09:39 AM

I found a local oil analysis shop, Titan Labs, I'll just go with them. I'll post their results; I'm kind of fascinated to see what it shows. Once I get the report though, I don't know exactly what I can do with that info, since I don't have a baseline. Stay tuned. Thankye.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ster1

Posted January 04, 2016 - 10:24 AM

Dilemma! I spoke to Titan Labs; they're very helpful and they told me I need 50 hours on that oil before getting it tested. Hell I might only ride 100 hrs a year in a good year. Now I'm thinking about ditching the whole oil analysis thing completely. I mean, if I'm right, and lets say the piston pin bearing is failing, I would expect to see some bronze and possibly copper in the report. If I run it 20 hours, and that shows 1 per cent (or ppm or however they measure) copper and bronze, what does that tell me? If I run it another 20 hours, and send it again and get the same results, that doesn't tell me anything because I don't have a baseline. All it would say is I have so much of such and such metal in the oil, and I already know that. Thoughts?

• SatansReverence

Posted January 06, 2016 - 03:48 AM

Just send them an sample.

They probably don't understand how much punishment the oil goes through in a modern dirtbike.

• rah7777777

Posted January 06, 2016 - 09:06 PM

I've used black stone before.
Really liked them. I sent in 3 samples at once and who ever did it went over everything for each vehicle and referenced my other vehicles.
I was impressed

• Damper

Posted January 06, 2016 - 11:54 PM

I had a similar thing happen to an old 426, metal in the oil when changing. Turns out a few months later it done 5th gear....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.