WR FI

Yamaha WR450F

30 replies to this topic
  • Chaconne

Posted January 03, 2016 - 06:34 AM

I ride both bikes 2002 xr4 and a 2014 wr450 and granted the terrain here on the East Coast is different. Maps and a larger rear sprocket did it for me for crawling and tractoring slow for the terrain I ride i.e. hilly-muddy-roots-rocks & tight and slippery with the wr.  More clutch on the wr for sure, which is the small price paid for significantly better handling and a lighter overall feel IMHO. I didn't really have to mess with the idle to get the xr feel I wanted. One thing I found significant from a control standpoint is the seat height/suspension. Smaller riders (like me) should take steps to improve their skills on a significantly higher platform or alternatively consider a lowering link which I wouldn't recommend personally.

• Jimmy boy

Posted January 03, 2016 - 07:52 AM

With all due respect guys the o.p just wants to know if there is a way to turn idle down on fi bike. He doesn't need riding or different gearing tricks, he invented them! Larry can ride like a mutha ffer! She is a OG Donkey!

• Baja trail Rider

Posted January 03, 2016 - 08:34 AM

Turn the knob clockwise.  I used to set mine a few hundred rpms lower than spec.  It still sounded healthy.  I didn't stall too often.  It's not going to idle at 1000 rpms but you can get it a little slower.  The CO adjustment tool might help a little.

Thanks much good info

• mch

Posted January 03, 2016 - 12:19 PM

I guess the question on my mind is why does someone care about idle speed?  The WR is pretty much like any bike; you set it where it doesn't stall.  When I read the question, it reminded me of someone on these forums a couple of years ago saying that someone he knew had said the idle was too high for baja riding (implied that you had to ride it at 10mph everywhere because it idles too high).  I have never been to baja, but the Nevada desert has stuff that can't be much different.  I'm a fairly competent rider and know that go pro can make things look easy, but the vids of "rip to the Tip" doesn't look like anything out of the normal other than some nice ocean views.  The WR would not have any less advantage than any of the other bikes, if anything, I bet the suspension is better (I partially take that back.. if you had to push it up a hill, it would probably be a little worse than most other bikes).  I personally don't remember what my idle speed is set at, but it doesn't sound or feel much different than any other bike I ride.  Two of us in this thread said you can crawl the bike without stalling (if not better than any other bike I have owned) which is the only thing where I can think a low idle would make a difference.. unless maybe coasting downhill in neutral.

Anyway, my guess would be that the 2012+ WR would be a great bike to have for Baja.  It soaks up a lot of nasty stuff, the motor is very reliable, it's a very good slow hill climber, and the ergos are good.  Not to mention, FI, electric start, and a 5 speed.

There is an idle nob, so you can turn it down or up if needed... but it's not something I ever really needed to mess with. 

Edited by mch, January 03, 2016 - 12:20 PM.

• chu

Posted January 03, 2016 - 12:53 PM

I think you would get more engine braking.  Crawl speed with the clutch out slows down a little.  I just ride supermoto these days, other guys might have different reasons.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted January 03, 2016 - 04:29 PM

I guess the question on my mind is why does someone care about idle speed?  The WR is pretty much like any bike; you set it where it doesn't stall.  When I read the question, it reminded me of someone on these forums a couple of years ago saying that someone he knew had said the idle was too high for baja riding (implied that you had to ride it at 10mph everywhere because it idles too high).  I have never been to baja, but the Nevada desert has stuff that can't be much different.  I'm a fairly competent rider and know that go pro can make things look easy, but the vids of "rip to the Tip" doesn't look like anything out of the normal other than some nice ocean views.  The WR would not have any less advantage than any of the other bikes, if anything, I bet the suspension is better (I partially take that back.. if you had to push it up a hill, it would probably be a little worse than most other bikes).  I personally don't remember what my idle speed is set at, but it doesn't sound or feel much different than any other bike I ride.  Two of us in this thread said you can crawl the bike without stalling (if not better than any other bike I have owned) which is the only thing where I can think a low idle would make a difference.. unless maybe coasting downhill in neutral.

Anyway, my guess would be that the 2012+ WR would be a great bike to have for Baja.  It soaks up a lot of nasty stuff, the motor is very reliable, it's a very good slow hill climber, and the ergos are good.  Not to mention, FI, electric start, and a 5 speed.

There is an idle nob, so you can turn it down or up if needed... but it's not something I ever really needed to mess with. 

Having the idle speed as low as possible greatly improves control in deceleration into a very tight and narrow corner...or just pulling in the clutch to acheive the same thing.

I like to run in a gear high, and that way I have predicable mellow engine breaking, and no 'push' with the front end.....but sometimes I am in a 'normal' gear, and shutting of the throttle with the idle high, or even normal, can create understeer....which might put you off a cliff if you are not careful.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted January 03, 2016 - 08:00 PM

We ride mountain ranges,for hours and hours.No trail,or animal trail.The down hills,so steep rear wheel want to go over front.We need go real slow as,we don't know whats at bottom.(Or we do do know Big drop off) So when we ride hours and hours slow idle down.Bikes are easy to ride.Ride with Hi idle,need shut off motor brakes only.One guy does have auto clutch on his 12 Wr.Same deal shut off motor ride the brakes.Its just more work,harder to ride.

• JDLowrance

Posted January 03, 2016 - 10:00 PM

Sounds like you need a different bike....KLX, DRZ, or maybe even a 250.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted January 04, 2016 - 07:51 AM

Sounds like you need a different bike....KLX, DRZ, or maybe even a 250.

The carb Wrs work good,with slow Idle,Also our girls bike 230f.ArmandogI Wants to get Wr.So best for him,try both WRs.Then he can decide.

• mch

Posted January 04, 2016 - 08:57 AM

Engine braking on the 12 WR is a bit strong. If you have the throttle chopped and in 1st gear, that will probably be enough. I do have a tendency to stall here and there when doing that, and using too much brake with the clutch fully out.

Edited by mch, January 04, 2016 - 08:59 AM.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted January 04, 2016 - 11:18 AM

Engine braking on the 12 WR is a bit strong. If you have the throttle chopped and in 1st gear, that will probably be enough. I do have a tendency to stall here and there when doing that, and using too much brake with the clutch fully out.

That is exactly,what Im talking about.The FI bikes,way to fast at Idle,Carb bikes just right.Since you guys said you can lower them down to 1700 at Idle.We will have a go at that.Since the Fi Wrs we rode,are not ours.Who knows what Idle there set at.Thats the only bitch,other then idle speed.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

any reason why to get new Beta 450rr instead of wr450f ? by motf

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  80 replies
Forums
Photo

Valve Cover gasket keeps blowing by pbcrazy9898

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  29 replies
Wiki
Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods - last post by Super_Davee

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods by chelder

• Hot  34 replies
Forums
Photo

WR450F Supermoto, Old vs New? by MtnDrew

• Hot  27 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.