Anybody figure out if you can put the YZ450FX starter on a 2014-16 Yz450F?

5 replies to this topic
  • yz426rdr

Posted December 31, 2015 - 08:55 AM

Read a couple articles that point out the fact that the starter mounts have been on the cases of the YZ450 since 2014. Anyone figure out if the electric start will mount up on the YZ450F?

• grayracer513

Posted December 31, 2015 - 10:36 AM

To begin with, the left crank axle is longer in order to accommodate the starter drive clutch behind the flywheel, same as is the case with Gen2 YZ450's and WR's.  That right away means splitting the cases and probably the purchase of the left side cover at the least.  

I have not spent any time researching the matter, though.  Might be possible, but it might not be practical.  

• JS264

Posted January 01, 2016 - 09:52 PM

Crank let loose on my 450 so I've been pondering this idea as well when i put it back together.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Monk

Posted January 01, 2016 - 10:29 PM

To begin with, the left crank axle is longer in order to accommodate the starter drive clutch behind the flywheel, same as is the case with Gen2 YZ450's and WR's. That right away means splitting the cases and probably the purchase of the left side cover at the least.

I have not spent any time researching the matter, though. Might be possible, but it might not be practical.

Cases are the same, I've gotten that far. All the "major" stuff seems to be lining up, but it's all the little crap that has me still sorting things out...

• Sheriff245

Posted January 02, 2016 - 08:12 PM

I believe it would be easier to start with an X and convert it for MX.

• grayracer513

Posted January 03, 2016 - 08:35 AM

Cases are the same, I've gotten that far. All the "major" stuff seems to be lining up, but it's all the little crap that has me still sorting things out...

It will probably end up being somewhat similar to the Gen2 bikes. Change the crank and generator cover and add parts.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.