New pick up!

25 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted January 09, 2016 - 04:58 PM

I understand.  Nobody in your circle who does their own bike repairs/rebuilds?  As daunting as it sounds, with the purchase of $30-40 of specialized tools, a little common sense, the manual (available free), and reasonably good mechanical skills, most people can actually do this job in a home shop.  

• SAKs YAMAHA

Posted January 09, 2016 - 09:27 PM

Trust me, it's not tough at all. Can you follow instructions? Can you complete a puzzle? Then you can fix this motor! I started doing this stuff when I was around 13-14. My boss/ uncle threw a book at me a told me to figure it out. If a teenager with no prior experience can, so can you. It sounds like a lot but it's really not. Between this site, Google, and YouTube all the info you need is available. Like Gray said get a manual. The special tools needed are listed in the manual, like flywheel puller, case splitter, clutch tool, torque wrench, metric wrench set, metric socket set, etc. If you don't want to buy new parts, you can get a whole gear set on eBay fairly cheap, like $100 (http://www.ebay.com/...yFWdKti&vxp=mtr). Although, you don't know the exact condition until you get them, but i bet they'd be ok. While the case is split I would change the main bearings and all the oil seals. If you do decide to do it, just label all the parts, put them in Ziploc bags, and take pictures of everything as you take it apart. Pictures will help you figure it out later.

Edited by SAKs YAMAHA, January 09, 2016 - 09:37 PM.

• Nate_YZ426F

Posted January 09, 2016 - 10:55 PM

Trust me, it's not tough at all. Can you follow instructions? Can you complete a puzzle? Then you can fix this motor! I started doing this stuff when I was around 13-14. My boss/ uncle threw a book at me a told me to figure it out. If a teenager with no prior experience can, so can you. It sounds like a lot but it's really not. Between this site, Google, and YouTube all the info you need is available. Like Gray said get a manual. The special tools needed are listed in the manual, like flywheel puller, case splitter, clutch tool, torque wrench, metric wrench set, metric socket set, etc. If you don't want to buy new parts, you can get a whole gear set on eBay fairly cheap, like $100 (http://www.ebay.com/...yFWdKti&vxp=mtr). Although, you don't know the exact condition until you get them, but i bet they'd be ok. While the case is split I would change the main bearings and all the oil seals. If you do decide to do it, just label all the parts, put them in Ziploc bags, and take pictures of everything as you take it apart. Pictures will help you figure it out later.

Im horrified of screwing something up lol. I may try it though.. I'm not mechanically inclined per se but I can follow directions !

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Nate_YZ426F

Posted January 11, 2016 - 05:57 AM

This may sound like a silly question but am I risking damaging other things by riding?

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2016 - 07:19 AM

Only the whole engine.

The engine uses the same oil that is being circulated through your broken transmission.  

• Nate_YZ426F

Posted January 11, 2016 - 07:21 AM

Only the whole engine.

The engine uses the same oil that is being circulated through your broken transmission.

I figured. I don't plan on riding any further but I did put about two hours on it the day it happened so I'm sort of nervous about that

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.