Coasting... engine off

6 replies to this topic
  • FTD

Posted March 02, 2004 - 01:31 PM

There's a section of trail we ride, slight down hill, through the brush that I turn the engine off and coast.
I was told this is bad for the tranny.
Is it bad or not?
Hoss

• RichBaker

Posted March 02, 2004 - 01:38 PM

There's a section of trail we ride, slight down hill, through the brush that I turn the engine off and coast.
Is it bad or not?
Hoss

When the engine is off there is no oil circulated thru engine OR trans....a good way to riun the tranny.

• endurodog

Posted March 02, 2004 - 01:42 PM

I have done this for years, but the bike is in neutral, and never had a problem. I got to do it down a few very long hills in past also, like miles long. Now if your tranny is engaged I could see a problem. Now you do loose some control.

A few years ago one of the big name guys, Berlson or maybe Roesler, can't remember for sure got hurt doing it. I've heard it called "Coast Racing" before.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FTD

Posted March 02, 2004 - 01:54 PM

Is it bad or not?
Hoss

When the engine is off there is no oil circulated thru engine OR trans....a good way to riun the tranny.

That is exactly what he said... so it is bad, I should leave the engine on...
Hoss

• PBDBLUE

Posted March 02, 2004 - 02:08 PM

The transmission is splash lubricated (not pressure like the crank/cams). It will not harm the transmission to coast in neutral.

• RichBaker

Posted March 02, 2004 - 03:26 PM

The transmission is splash lubricated (not pressure like the crank/cams). It will not harm the transmission to coast in neutral.

My manual shows a lube path thru the tranny shafts....I wouldn't coast with the engine OFF, running in neutral sure. :)

• faggio40

Posted March 03, 2004 - 01:13 PM

It's correct for two stroke, but not for four stroke, or not all but the large majority.
But it's true too that coasting in neutral there aren't big stress in tranny, so no problem for riding few miles with engine off. Many years ago I often used coasting with street-bikes with some friends of mine, and I and my friends never had problems to our bikes.
Coasting is very amusing: no noise from engine, so you can enjoy insulting your friends when you overtake them :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.