Piston change interval on 450s

5 replies to this topic
  • jcross312

Posted December 28, 2015 - 07:30 PM

Trying to gather information on piston change intervals. Ive searched and came up with a wide variety of answers, so I figured I would start one more thread! Lol. Ive got 22 hours on my new 450 right now and its running like a rocket. BUT, I know the time is coming. So, how many hours do you put on your 450 piston before you change it? I ride mx and am a pretty good rider. Id say average B rider. I only race every once in awhile, so 90% practice 10% race. Anybody got any good advice?

• Dirtrider 88

Posted December 28, 2015 - 08:17 PM

I honestly think you could put a good 50-60 hours on a top end on any motocross bike. Well unless it has heavy engine work and a rider with a right wrist who only knows pit speed and full throttle.. Anyways. Some may say otherwise. But I changes my top end at 30 hrs and ended up putting that piston right back in. And putting the new one on the shelf for the next 30 hrs of riding. Worked out really well cuz I was in a pinch for money haha

• mikedabike

Posted December 28, 2015 - 09:59 PM

My Yz450 does duty as an MX bike, off road and supermoto. I think MX puts the least stress on the motor. I swap pistons at 100 hours and they are always in good shape. I would search what others with your specific bike and riding conditions are doing and go from there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motosinko805

Posted December 28, 2015 - 10:04 PM

I did my rm at 50 to be safe, and the piston still looked good. If it was a yz I'd wait till 100

• Monk

Posted December 28, 2015 - 10:42 PM

400hrs on my 500exc and I never replaced the piston...and no it wasn't babied. Placed 2nd overall in OPEN A in a GP series, placed 1st overall the second year in Vet A...

156hrs on my 15 YZ450F and I won't touch the piston either...

• jcross312

Posted December 29, 2015 - 06:43 AM

400hrs on my 500exc and I never replaced the piston...and no it wasn't babied. Placed 2nd overall in OPEN A in a GP series, placed 1st overall the second year in Vet A...
156hrs on my 15 YZ450F and I won't touch the piston either...

No shit, really? Thats great news! I had read a other post from a guy who races and said he put 200 pretty hard hours on a crf without doing anything to it. That goes against what the manuals say, but I believe the guy. Heard alot of people putting 150+ hours on stock piston. Im not too much of a revver, but I do push hard from time to time. A race every once in awhile and I wring its neck pretty good (at least for the first lap or two). The rest of the time im just putting in laps at practice.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.