Spark arrestor for stock YZ450FX muffler

15 replies to this topic
  • msgbean

Posted December 28, 2015 - 03:24 PM

I was trying to come up with a way to add a spark arrestor to the stock muffler of my 450FX, which is the exact same muffler on the YZ450F, without buying a new exhaust or an expensive new end cap.  I ended up using a spark arrestor for a DR D NS-4 muffler.

20151228_153348-1.jpg

• cowboyona426

Posted December 30, 2015 - 07:58 AM

Good creativity but if you get a surly ranger who notices your pipe isn't stamped "USFS approved" you're likely to get a ticket, or at the very least a good scolding and probably told to park your bike.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 30, 2015 - 08:01 AM

If the insert is stamped USFS approved, you are good to go.

Save the packaging if you think it will be an issue.

I did a similar mod to my Dr D exhaust and have been inspected mulitple times without issue.

Oh, and how did you manage to get a YZ 540 FX? 

:thumbsup:

• msgbean

Posted December 30, 2015 - 10:48 AM

Good creativity but if you get a surly ranger who notices your pipe isn't stamped "USFS approved" you're likely to get a ticket, or at the very least a good scolding and probably told to park your bike.

It comes with an aluminum sticker that says USFS approved.    

I was the first in my area to get the FX. 

Dang, thanks for the heads up.  All this time i never noticed I typed 540.  I don't think I can change it.  Any of you moderators out there can you change the title?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20151230_123340-1.jpg

Edited by msgbean, December 30, 2015 - 12:29 PM.

• tmav66

Posted December 30, 2015 - 11:07 AM

^ read again, 540fx, I get it hahaha

• cowboyona426

Posted December 30, 2015 - 12:04 PM

It comes with an aluminum sticker that says USFS approved.

I was the first in my area to get the FX. 

You should be good to go then!  What did the part cost?

• msgbean

Posted December 30, 2015 - 12:30 PM

You should be good to go then!  What did the part cost?

it cost a wopping $13.99.

• cowboyona426

Posted December 30, 2015 - 03:18 PM

Dang, nice find!  Any other photos of the install?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 30, 2015 - 04:38 PM

Dang, thanks for the heads up.  All this time i never noticed I typed 540.  I don't think I can change it.  Any of you moderators out there can you change the title?

What's it worth?

JK :smirk:

• msgbean

Posted December 30, 2015 - 05:49 PM

What's it worth?

Thanks grayracer.

• msgbean

Posted December 30, 2015 - 05:56 PM

I had to unrivet the end cap to insert it inside.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20151228_143520_resized.jpg

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted December 30, 2015 - 10:19 PM

Wish I had read this thread a month ago.   I had the same issue with my YZ250FX.  Stock muffler didn't have a SA and I didn't want the heavy billet end cap.   Rather than face a hefty fine, I bought an FMF.

Where did you get it from ?

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, December 30, 2015 - 10:22 PM.

• msgbean

Posted December 31, 2015 - 09:18 AM

Wish I had read this thread a month ago.   I had the same issue with my YZ250FX.  Stock muffler didn't have a SA and I didn't want the heavy billet end cap.   Rather than face a hefty fine, I bought an FMF.

Where did you get it from ?

I got it from rocky mountain. Free shipping during Christmas.  They are pretty much the same price everywhere including Amazon. But unless you include it with something else you will be hit with shipping.  Just make sure its for an NS4.  Be advised everyone, including DR D website, uses a generic picture that doesn't look like the actual product.  

Also, be advised, there at a least two different sizes.  My son got a Dr D exhaust for his FX and it came with the spark arrestor. It measured about 1.3" in diameter which would have been just about perfect to slide over the stinger in the picture above.  The one I got from Rocky Mountain appears to be for a Suzuki and measures 1.625" which is just about right to slide into the larger inner pipe.  I got it to work but would have rather had the smaller one.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20151228_144944_resized.jpg

• cowboyona426

Posted January 05, 2016 - 03:30 PM

I got it from rocky mountain. Free shipping during Christmas.  They are pretty much the same price everywhere including Amazon. But unless you include it with something else you will be hit with shipping.  Just make sure its for an NS4.  Be advised everyone, including DR D website, uses a generic picture that doesn't look like the actual product.  

Also, be advised, there at a least two different sizes.  My son got a Dr D exhaust for his FX and it came with the spark arrestor. It measured about 1.3" in diameter which would have been just about perfect to slide over the stinger in the picture above.  The one I got from Rocky Mountain appears to be for a Suzuki and measures 1.625" which is just about right to slide into the larger inner pipe.  I got it to work but would have rather had the smaller one.

Is his the 450 or the 250?  Not sure why I care right now, still working on convincing the wife I need another bike...

• msgbean

Posted January 05, 2016 - 03:36 PM

Both are 450.

• msgbean

Posted January 07, 2016 - 04:53 PM

Is his the 450 or the 250?  

Its the 450 but I would bet the 250 is very similiar.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.