Aftermarket ecu on Efi YZ's

14 replies to this topic
  • DanielMerrick

Posted December 28, 2015 - 09:08 AM

Looking for some input on aftermarket ecu's.
What have you used ? With what mods ? I currently have a GYTR tuner that I will be selling.

2014 yz450f
Hotcams stage 1
Thermo bob t-stat
Fmf 4.1 with ss header

I ran dyno jet pcv with auto tune on a race quad build with good results.

• stevethe

Posted December 28, 2015 - 09:39 AM

Most people do not run the Dyno jet PCV. Vortex and Athena make ECU's.
I understand the Athena GET is tunable from wifi to your phone. Which sounds real nice other than the price of course.

I am also interested in what experience people have had. There is a post on here with someone running a Vortex on a 16 model. But those are generally plug and play. I use one on my built 07 WR450. It allows you a 10 position ECU with a handle bar mount for two maps. I use the built in 06 YZ450 map and a traction map. The Vortex on the carbed models are of course only ignition tunable.

Edited by stevethe, December 28, 2015 - 09:42 AM.

• Ctown208

Posted December 28, 2015 - 10:20 AM

I use the vortex on my 16. It's a good set up. Light years ahead of the gytr. The Athena brand one looks like a cool set up but I don't have any personal experience with it. Just kinda spendy for features I will never use is why I went with the vortex over the get.
Mods.
Genius tb
Ported head- cams
Exhuast- intake.

• Ctown208

Posted December 28, 2015 - 10:24 AM

I would suggest a standalone ecu over a piggyback system such as powercomander.

• DanielMerrick

Posted December 28, 2015 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, from what I've been able to gather adjusting the vortex is basically turning the 3 small dials from 0-9? So you'd tune it as you ride like a carb bike ?

• Ctown208

Posted December 28, 2015 - 12:50 PM

Yeah it's kinda like your gytr tuner how you add or subtract fuel. You just use a dial.

• Drenmaster

Posted December 28, 2015 - 03:33 PM

Other than GET, if you have a GYTR tuner what's the benefit of a vortex ignition? 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ctown208

Posted December 28, 2015 - 03:54 PM

The gytr dosent dosent do as advertised. The low-mid-high overlaps are off big time. Almost impossible to tune the motor using one. It's a cool idea , just not as accurate as advertised. Most will never know unless they try to dyno tune with it.

• DanielMerrick

Posted December 29, 2015 - 07:16 AM

Anyone have experience with dobeck performance?

• Ctown208

Posted December 29, 2015 - 09:17 PM

Anyone have experience with dobeck performance?

yes the piggy back systems. Those are worse than the powercomander

• Ctown208

Posted December 29, 2015 - 09:18 PM

yes the piggy back systems. Those are worse than the powercomander

Virtually impossible to get accurate tune on anything I used them on. No fuel table nor timing table.

• RMK800

Posted December 30, 2015 - 12:47 AM

The gytr dosent dosent do as advertised. The low-mid-high overlaps are off big time. Almost impossible to tune the motor using one. It's a cool idea , just not as accurate as advertised. Most will never know unless they try to dyno tune with it.

I'm buying a FI Yamaha. The gytr tuner is a waste of money? All the map threads from the WR and YZ aren't making a difference at all for better performance? I would like to know, because i'm not too interested wasting 2 bills if it doesn't work right.

• stevethe

Posted December 30, 2015 - 04:51 AM

I'm buying a FI Yamaha. The gytr tuner is a waste of money? All the map threads from the WR and YZ aren't making a difference at all for better performance? I would like to know, because i'm not too interested wasting 2 bills if it doesn't work right.

I'm sure the GYTR tuner works possibly even for the masses. What I imagine is better performance and being able to tune more in depth is available with the Athena GET or Vortex.

On my two WR450's I have a Dynatek and a Vortex ignition. Both work better than the stock box. I use the Vortex on the dirt model and the Dynatek on the street supermoto.

The Dynatek gets rid of the famous studder and gives it better torque on the WR450 supermoto. The Vortex on the dirt WR450 allows for a 06 YZ450 snappy and hot ignition as well as a on the fly switch to a torque map.

I would say if you can afford the better ECU do it and if you are going for a built bike. It's like they say you will never know the best until you try it.

• DanielMerrick

Posted December 30, 2015 - 10:42 AM

I found a difference when I played with the maps, less hit and smoother low end on some. I ride mx and sand in the summer so the GYTR tuner did well, I had 2 maps that I alternated between.

I ride my bike all year, with studded tires on ice and a track kit on the snow. Looking for something more complex then dials and big measuring blocks, leaning towards the Athena evo but I would enjoy something with an auto tune function for better adaptability.

Ctown why don't you like piggy backs ?

• Ctown208

Posted December 30, 2015 - 11:50 AM

I found a difference when I played with the maps, less hit and smoother low end on some. I ride mx and sand in the summer so the GYTR tuner did well, I had 2 maps that I alternated between.

I ride my bike all year, with studded tires on ice and a track kit on the snow. Looking for something more complex then dials and big measuring blocks, leaning towards the Athena evo but I would enjoy something with an auto tune function for better adaptability.

Ctown why don't you like piggy backs ?

Just never had one preform like a stand alone.
On yfz 450 quads you can get vortex, powercomander v ,msd. And many other fuel controllers.

A spot on tune a/f wise with same timing tables and the vortex will out preform any on a track and on the dyno.

Same goes for snowmobiles/ rzrs.

I have played with probably 20 different set ups and never seen a piggyback run like a standalone

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.