Blown Valve Cover Gasket 07' WR450F

3 replies to this topic
  • TREMULANT86

Posted December 25, 2015 - 08:40 PM

Hello All,

New to the forum here. I recently purchased a 2007 WR450F which had been sitting for possibly 2.5-3 years aside from the occasional start. Previous owner told me the only work it needed was carb cleaning and fluid changes along with a water pump/ oil pump gasket change. I did the aforementioned work, only to find that once it idled for a few minutes, which it did well, I blew the valve cover gasket. No tubes are visibly pinched. I searched the forum for relevant information on the topic and didn't find too much. Any ideas on diagnosing the cause for pressure to build in the valve cover? My next step will be to see if any of the vent tubes are clogged by running air through them and ensuring that they are routed properly. Other than that, I am at a loss.

• Flagstaff

Posted December 25, 2015 - 09:18 PM

Hello All,

New to the forum here. I recently purchased a 2007 WR450F which had been sitting for possibly 2.5-3 years aside from the occasional start. Previous owner told me the only work it needed was carb cleaning and fluid changes along with a water pump/ oil pump gasket change. I did the aforementioned work, only to find that once it idled for a few minutes, which it did well, I blew the valve cover gasket. No tubes are visibly pinched. I searched the forum for relevant information on the topic and didn't find too much. Any ideas on diagnosing the cause for pressure to build in the valve cover? My next step will be to see if any of the vent tubes are clogged by running air through them and ensuring that they are routed properly. Other than that, I am at a loss.

Define "blew". Valve cover gaskets can leak, setting doesn't help. You likely just need a new one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TREMULANT86

Posted December 26, 2015 - 10:45 AM

Pressure built up in the valve cover and one of the two half-circle shaped pieces of the valve cover gasket blew outward. It would probably be a good idea for me to figure out what the issue that caused that might be, before I simply replace the valve cover gasket. Right?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 27, 2015 - 07:52 PM

You have a pinched or blocked vent hose

This is not uncommon if you lifted up the subframe to work on the carb

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.