New to me 450

27 replies to this topic
  • Newfoundkawirider

Posted January 02, 2016 - 11:38 AM

Common sense also says that most parts are made overseas no matter the brand name on then so I'll go ahead and stick to what's been tried many a time

• ScubaruSteve

Posted February 25, 2016 - 03:01 PM

Well i have now tore down the engine, Big end bearing shot, play in the crank bearings. some things i noticed during the tear down. Gasket maker on the block to stop the oil from leaking on the oil return when its a damaged oring... in the right side case there was a dowel and oring missing on the oil pump inlet... water pump shaft has some heavy wear. found a ball bearing and decent piece of aluminum in the oil pan. inspected all case pieces and bearings and can not figure out where that came from. disassembly was easy, did not need a case separator bust a flat screwdriver and use the pry points. did not have to remove any transmission components. Now just waiting for all my parts to arrive, Already received OEM crank, waiting on bearings, water punp shaft & OEM piston. My counter balancer has some minor play on the roller bearings on the timing side, can not find any tolerance specs.

So far this has been a great learning experience but has gotten expensive fast.

Edited by ScubaruSteve, February 25, 2016 - 03:01 PM.

• ftl900

Posted February 26, 2016 - 08:14 AM

Dang, I'm thinking earplugs would have been much cheaper!!   

You're in way over my head. Good luck!

• ScubaruSteve

Posted March 17, 2016 - 08:36 PM

Well my mountain of parts are here, Honing the cylinder tomorrow, all old bearings are out and picking up dry ice tomorrow to help them slide right in. hoping to have this beast running by the end of the long weekend!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ScubaruSteve

Posted March 19, 2016 - 08:58 PM

Pressing in the crank bearings went well. the counter shaft roller bearing popped and went through the case. Now against my better judgement I'm tempted to leave it as there is still a retainer on one side. or replace the left side case half. there is no thrust applied to the bearing so it may be fine? Anyone have a quality left side crank case for sale?

• stevethe

Posted March 20, 2016 - 05:00 AM

You can't buy one side of the middle they are matched cases. Ask a really good welder.

• bikedude987

Posted March 21, 2016 - 06:53 AM

Should be easy enough to weld back on.  really just needs a couple tack welds, then dont be so ham-fisted pressing that bearing in....

• ScubaruSteve

Posted April 24, 2016 - 07:46 PM

Guess i haven't updated in a while. was able to weld that piece back together. got the case halves installed. new piston rings and honed cylinder by skylark in Calgary. 2 intake valves were tight  now shimmed. got the bike out in the dirt and WOW, thing is a monster i love it. thinking i need to drop a tooth on the front to help in some gnarly hill climbs so the bike doesn't lurch in second when letting off at the top..

Forks need a rebuild bad so i ordered a complete pivot works kit, also put in a complete shock rebuild kit as it feels a bit funny and why not. what oil is everyone running in forks and shock?

i have gotten 1 fork apart and apparently i need a seal driver as 2" pcv pipe doesn't work as good as i thought it would lol.

Any one order from they seem to have really good pricing on the trail tech vapors.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.