Resistance is Futile - tried to CA plate a WR450

Yamaha WR450F

40 replies to this topic
  • americium

Posted December 23, 2015 - 11:05 AM

I have a 2006 WR450 that is my primary trail bike and living in northern CA there are numerous trails not far from where I live.  Having seen a few WRs with plates on them, reading forums and talking to local bike shop people, I decided to try to get a plate for my bike so I could hop on a road and get to the trails nearby.  I was told to go to a certain person who was in the business of helping people register vehicles with the DMV.  I contacted them and she asked me what the VIN was and said if there was a C in the 7th or 8th position it would be possible to plate.  I would need a certificate of lights, proof of insurance, and the title and she would get it done.  I put lights, horn and mirror on the bike, got the Baja Designs alternator mod and regulator for more watts and thought I would just go to the DMV myself.  I'm glad I did.  I went in and they said I would need to read the document CHP888 that outlines all the requirements for a street bike and sign a statement of facts that I read it and the bike complies.  (If anyone is considering doing this on any bike I recommend getting this document first.)  They also said I would need to bring the bike so they can verify the emissions sticker is on it and valid.  Well... I didn't remember seeing an emissions sticker on it so I went home and lo and behold, there is one on the front frame member, in front of the engine and behind the front fender.  I looked at it and it says it meets EPA and CA for OFF ROAD only.  Now I'm thinking, all these other guys that have plates on their WRs must have the same sticker so I decided to give it a try.  I took the bike in and the first thing he said was Sorry, it's for off road only..   I told him I've seen more than one WR with a CA plate and asked how did they do it?  He says it was done incorrectly and that they are getting letters from the main office warning them to not plate bikes like this and also that they are starting to review plates that have been issued to certain bikes and are pulling them.  That is right from the horses mouth, but whether they follow through is unknown.  

So for me, I'm going to go with Plan B and sell the WR and get something that is factory plated, KTM, Husky or something like that I suppose.  I'm a bit tired of this state and it's overkill on the smog thing.  Resistance is futile, as long as you choose to live here.  

Hopefully this will save someone else from all the trouble.  You might get it plated, but you may lose it later because they are wising up.  

• Dualsportwr450

Posted December 23, 2015 - 11:07 AM

A "c" or a 3 in the 8th vin is impossible to plate it is considered red sticker

• americium

Posted December 23, 2015 - 01:50 PM

I wasn't sure of the exact digit or character, but yes it was something like that that I heard. This WR is a green sticker so I though that would be in my favor, but no...

• avlisj

Posted December 23, 2015 - 02:11 PM

Attempt to DUAL reg it. You pay both fees( green sticker and plate reg). But you get a plate. They may take it back later but that's up to them.
If possible muck up the sticker and read it to them. Don't mention the off road only part. Any green sticker should be plateable
Typically dmv just checks the vins and presence of emission and safety sticker.
Go to different dmvs till you find one that gives you a plate. Don't give up.
Prowd owner of 2014 plated 450.CA Bay Area.

Edited by avlisj, December 23, 2015 - 02:31 PM.

• Dualsportwr450

Posted December 23, 2015 - 02:34 PM

I played a wr but you gotta know people never heard of anyone actually doing it through the actual dmv

• Kx250FRiDeR651

Posted December 23, 2015 - 09:33 PM

I have a brand new 15' zero miles plated. All legit. There's ways you just need people who know how to do the paper work.

F7FEC463-7D68-4387-9A22-5D5F06F0C004.jpg

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651, December 23, 2015 - 09:59 PM.

• KennyMc

Posted December 23, 2015 - 09:38 PM

I have a brand new 15' zero miles plated. All legit. There's ways you just need people who know how to do the paper work.

AA3EE823-A9C2-4E06-A5BD-0C0F89957EE9.jpg

Legit.... :lol:

• Kx250FRiDeR651

Posted December 23, 2015 - 09:44 PM

Well an actual Yamaha dealer did it off the showroom....ide say it's pretty legit on my end. No issues yet.

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651, December 23, 2015 - 09:45 PM.

• KennyMc

Posted December 23, 2015 - 09:50 PM

Well an actual Yamaha dealer did it off the showroom....ide say it's pretty legit on my end. No issues yet.

Prolly won't have any. Sold my CA plated '07 WR450 earlier this year. Plate transferred without a problem :thumbsup:

• Chas_M

Posted December 23, 2015 - 11:12 PM

It is not legit without a proper emission sticker.  The dealer could get into 'hot water' for doing it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted December 24, 2015 - 06:59 AM

It is not legit without a proper emission sticker.  The dealer could get into 'hot water' for doing it.

Edited by KRANNIE, December 24, 2015 - 07:03 AM.

• ftl900

Posted December 24, 2015 - 10:37 AM

I'm currently in the market for a WR450 to plate here in Nevada.  

I've heard of lots of SoCal guys plating their bike in Arizona and then riding it in California.

I haven't ever dealt with the California DMV, but if it's anything like every other state, much of what is legal or not legal, possible or not possible seems to depend on who you talk to or sometimes which location you go to.

• Kx250FRiDeR651

Posted December 24, 2015 - 10:49 AM

It is not legit without a proper emission sticker. The dealer could get into 'hot water' for doing it.

Not my problem. :)

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651, December 24, 2015 - 10:50 AM.

• Kx250FRiDeR651

Posted December 24, 2015 - 10:57 AM

I'm currently in the market for a WR450 to plate here in Nevada.
I've heard of lots of SoCal guys plating their bike in Arizona and then riding it in California.
I haven't ever dealt with the California DMV, but if it's anything like every other state, much of what is legal or not legal, possible or not possible seems to depend on who you talk to or sometimes which location you go to.

I'm not familiar with the laws in Nevada. Easiest case do the South Dakota route. You can do it all by mail and get a plate within a week for $65. That state allows you to street legal dirt bikes for non residents since so many snow birds live there half a year in their motorhomes etc. Registration even has your home address on it.

Big thread on this over on supermoto junkie. Lots of success stories about after getting street status/dual sport on the registration in S. Dakota going to dmv to transfer it to their home state where they live (states that don't allow you to street legal an mx bike) Just one of the many loop holes to get stuff in.

Some guys in San Diego and Huntington Beach have posted riding their crf450 on the street with a South Dakota tag for 2+ years and never been stopped or bothered

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651, December 24, 2015 - 10:59 AM.

• baddos

Posted December 24, 2015 - 10:58 AM

Not my problem. :)

Certainly is if the DMV yanks your plate.  :naughty:

I've heard that some people have had their plates yanked when they were improperly registered without having the emissions sticker.

• ftl900

Posted December 24, 2015 - 11:11 AM

I'm not familiar with the laws in Nevada. Easiest case do the South Dakota route. You can do it all by mail and get a plate within a week for $65. That state allows you to street legal dirt bikes for non residents since so many snow birds live there half a year in their motorhomes etc. Registration even has your home address on it.

Nah, Nevada is easy enough.. put lights and stuff on it, get it inspected by a local moto dealer, do a VIN inspection, and the DMV plates it.  I did a WR400 last year.

It's the California guys that have the difficulties.

• Kx250FRiDeR651

Posted December 24, 2015 - 11:18 AM

Certainly is if the DMV yanks your plate.  :naughty:

I've heard that some people have had their plates yanked when they were improperly registered without having the emissions sticker.

I've heard that too. 100% of the time I hear it online from someone's who heard it from someone lol.

This is like my 10th plated dirtbike. Never had an issue. We do brake and lamp inspections weekly for people who walk into DMV and they issue a plate for crf450x type bikes and they require an inspection to complete it. Never hear any horror stories since they put a stop to plating bikes back on 03' I'm sure the "pulling of the plates" is pretty rare vs the number of bikes on the road.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 24, 2015 - 12:35 PM

There has never been any proof here on TT of a plate being pulled from a green sticker bike registered for dual or singular street registration.

No scan of paper work.

Only heresay.

• KennyMc

Posted December 24, 2015 - 12:58 PM

^^^^^^^^^This

Edit - with the exception being back in '06 I believe when some dealers got caught still doing the conversions. OCHonda was one of those dealers.

Edited by KennyMc, December 24, 2015 - 01:00 PM.

• AtomicGeo

Posted December 24, 2015 - 02:18 PM

Plated mine here in NM...no issues if you go to the right place.  Hell, even my KX250 is plated.

IMO, its Cali that's the problem.

Edited by AtomicGeo, December 24, 2015 - 02:19 PM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

The Teanaway is no BS! by Nuklhed

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods by chelder

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  34 replies
Forums
Photo

05 wr450 oil leaking from fuel tank mounting hole by gee-tee

• 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Do i need a rectifier/regulator? by Elmoto

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

any reason why to get new Beta 450rr instead of wr450f ? by motf

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  80 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.