2007 Wr450 - oil leaking from dipstick

3 replies to this topic
  • BluePlated

Posted December 22, 2015 - 06:17 PM

So i recently bought this 07 wr450 19xx km on it it is my second 07 wr450 actually lol. brought it home and changed oil - filter and coolant

i put in 1.2 litres- started the bike and checked it after few min

was just at line above the x

so i took it around the block for a little ride i got home and noticed coolant out the weephole- ( the oil looked alittle milky at that point thinking back)

anyways so i ordered parts to fix that situation.

i then noticed oil coming leaking out of the dipstick slow as if its under pressure. very slowly..

i took it off and the oil looked like it was almost going to overflow from the dipstick hole. when i put it back in alittle leaked out.

i tried to open the dpstick fast while running it wants to pour out like crazy

also i tried running with oil fill hole open and it feels like a second mini exhaust blowing out of it lol spewing oil mist.

im wondering if exhaust gases are leaking through causing this? is this normal?

my last wr had absolutely no issues- both of them have had nessecary mods done.

i blew through the breather from to of head and its clear to airbox- lots of air coming out while bike runss

im wondering if that much pressure is normal in the case or if bad seals / rings causing this? wouldnt it just vent out the breather anyways? how could it be over filled if after 5 min its at proper level? my oil wr never had oil leaking out the dipstick like that

please helps guys lol im desperate! dont want to get ripped of at a mechanic either

Edited by BluePlated, December 22, 2015 - 06:24 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 23, 2015 - 06:16 AM

The vent hose on the top of the motor is easily pinched when re-installing the sub frame or gas tank.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GuyGraham

Posted December 23, 2015 - 10:53 AM

i then noticed oil coming leaking out of the dipstick slow as if its under pressure. very slowly..

Possibly the O-Ring on the dipstick is missing or isn't sealing properly

i took it off and the oil looked like it was almost going to overflow from the dipstick hole. when i put it back in alittle leaked out.

This is because 1.2 litres is too much and it is overfilled

This is normal

also i tried running with oil fill hole open and it feels like a second mini exhaust blowing out of it lol spewing oil mist.

Again this is normal. Every time the piston rises and falls in the cylinder it displaces 450cm³ of air above the piston and also below the piston. The air movement below the piston has to go somewhere, which is what the breather than Krannie talks of, is for. However if you take the oil filler cap off, this is less restrictive so it will just get pumped in and out of there.

On mine, its strong enough that getting the oil filler cap back on with the engine running is quite difficult.

Unlikely - see above for explanation

im wondering if that much pressure is normal in the case or if bad seals / rings causing this? wouldnt it just vent out the breather anyways? how could it be over filled if after 5 min its at proper level? my oil wr never had oil leaking out the dipstick like that

Yes its normal

• knuckleduster271

Posted December 25, 2015 - 02:30 PM

So i recently bought this 07 wr450 19xx km on it it is my second 07 wr450 actually lol. brought it home and changed oil - filter and coolant

so i took it around the block for a little ride i got home and noticed coolant out the weephole- ( the oil looked alittle milky at that point thinking back)

i blew through the breather from to of head and its clear to airbox- lots of air coming out while bike runss

please helps guys lol im desperate! dont want to get ripped of at a mechanic either

Are you sure its not coming from the nipple on the return line behind the dipstick?
I went through this once with mine.
Basically the nipple is a press fit and is allowed to swivel slightly, mine had pulled up a little bit and i was having a leak. I tool a ball peen hammer and punch to tap the nipple back into place. Hasnt leaked sinced.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.