Clutch lifespan?

6 replies to this topic
  • jcross312

Posted December 21, 2015 - 12:21 PM

Im trying to get info on how long my clutch should last. I just got a 16 model yz450 and have put right at 20 hours on it so far. I ride pretty hard motocross and weigh 195 lbs. I put an o-ring chain on the bike when new, but am already getting close to wearing out the sprockets. (Yes, I know how to properly adjust chain) this bike is a rocket and thats why I believe the sprockets are wearing out. Im now curious as to when should I expect to replace the clutch and basket and all. One reason I want to know is I can get a good deal on parts if I order before the new year. Thanks.

Edit: just wanted to add that when I say close to wearing out I mean in about another 10-15 hours estimated time. The teeth are wearing thinner.

Edited by jcross312, December 21, 2015 - 12:26 PM.

• tmeyer37

Posted December 21, 2015 - 12:31 PM

Im trying to get info on how long my clutch should last. I just got a 16 model yz450 and have put right at 20 hours on it so far. I ride pretty hard motocross and weigh 195 lbs. I put an o-ring chain on the bike when new, but am already getting close to wearing out the sprockets. (Yes, I know how to properly adjust chain) this bike is a rocket and thats why I believe the sprockets are wearing out. Im now curious as to when should I expect to replace the clutch and basket and all. One reason I want to know is I can get a good deal on parts if I order before the new year. Thanks.

Edit: just wanted to add that when I say close to wearing out I mean in about another 10-15 hours estimated time. The teeth are wearing thinner.

Clutch wear is really going to depend on how you ride, if you are slipping the clutch often? and how well you maintain the bike. Doing oil changes often will help make them last longer. As far as I know there is not an assigned hour mark when you will need a clutch, it just depends on your riding style and how well you maintain your bike. It will vary a lot on hours because of this, but if you can get a great deal on a new clutch it never hurts to have one standing by for the day that you do need it. 

• cpetz24

Posted December 21, 2015 - 01:39 PM

There is a wear limit for the thickness of the friction plates, and there is also a warp limit to the steels.  It should all be in the book.  I will say however, I just replaced my clutch this week because I was having some odd clutch engagement feel in the lever.  The plates measured in spec, but the steels were blued.  The friction plates also had some small concentric grooves worn in them.  I don't really know where this came from, but I put a fresh clutch pack in this week and raced a 2 hour hare scramble and did not notice any weird engagement.  So my point is, the plates may be in spec, but there may be outside factors that are causing issues.  

As for the basket you will start to feel it if there are notches being worn in.  The clutch will not engage as smooth as it once did.  

If your clutch is not slipping, and the plates are in spec I would just ride it.  You will start to feel when the clutch is about to give up.  

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WouldsAssassin

Posted December 21, 2015 - 07:32 PM

I do mostly Enduro and hard trail riding on my 2011 but have over 150 hours on the stock clutch.

You should be ok for awhile. If you think you'll need a new clutch EVENTUALLY and can get a good deal on the parts, buy it, put it on the shelf and wait until you need it.

• grayracer513

Posted December 21, 2015 - 07:39 PM

The chain is what wears out sprockets, not horsepower.  Measure it out.  If it's 2% or more longer than new, it's the problem.

Clutch life can't be predicted without knowing a lot about where and how you ride.  I usually go for a couple of years on one. 

• jcross312

Posted December 22, 2015 - 11:45 AM

chain measures like new. it's an o-ring primary drive $60 special with about 20 hours on it. It seems to be holding up real well. I measured 10 pins and got 6.25" just like it's supposed to be. Measured in a few different spots, all the same.  I've rode a little mud a couple of times which probably accelerated the wear on the sprockets. I also read somewhere else that you can go through up to three sets of sprockets on a good quality chain, so maybe its normal for the sprockets to wear out relatively quick. I'm talking 35-40 hours out of a sprocket. Think I'll just wait on the clutch till I need it. Hopefully the stock one will last 100 hours or more, we will see.

• Family Man

Posted January 19, 2016 - 10:06 PM

Cheap primary drive chain might be the reason for the sprockets wearing out quick. Chain and sprockets get changed together.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.