Problems Shifting

6 replies to this topic
  • Oregon_Thumper

Posted March 04, 2002 - 06:44 AM

I went trail riding and a little track type riding this weekend and I was having problems shifting from 2nd to 1st. I pulled in the clutch and pushed down and it either didn't go out of 2nd or went into neutral. I had to almost double clutch it. Sometimes it won't even go into 1st unless I let the clutch out a little then it pops down. Now I am not a rookie here and I know how to shift. I have been riding street and dirt for 12 years. Does anyone have this problem or has had this problem before. Suggestions?

• yzrider

Posted March 04, 2002 - 08:09 AM

Bent shift fork?

Just a guess. Do you tend to stomp between the gears? I have heard of people bending the forks by stomping too hard on the shifter. I have also heard of shift forks bending after a good crash where the ground pounds on the shift lever.

• Oregon_Thumper

Posted March 05, 2002 - 06:10 AM

A little help there please.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • candlkirk

Posted March 05, 2002 - 09:13 AM

This is my first year to ride a 4 stroke. It does not shift as good as my 01 YZ250. My only problem is when I shifting from 1st to 2nd. If I am not carefull it will go into nutral. I make sure if there is a jump right out of a turn and I do it in first, that I dont shift into second until I hit the ground. I have never endoed, but have had several close calls.

• candlkirk

Posted March 05, 2002 - 09:13 AM

This is my first year to ride a 4 stroke. It does not shift as good as my 01 YZ250. My only problem is when I shifting from 1st to 2nd. If I am not carefull it will go into nutral. I make sure if there is a jump right out of a turn and I do it in first, that I dont shift into second until I hit the ground. I have never endoed, but have had several close calls.

• candlkirk

Posted March 05, 2002 - 09:16 AM

• ldan

Posted March 05, 2002 - 04:45 PM

I don't know about the bent shift lever, mine did this right out of the box. I can almost count on it when downshifting from 2nd to 1st. I've just learned to deal with it. If anyone has a fix, I'd be interested too!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.