Overflowing coolant

6 replies to this topic
  • danpat1508

Posted December 20, 2015 - 08:54 PM

This has me stumped. I cant seem to keep coolant in my radiator without losing it outthe overflow. I have just replaced the seals in the waterpump (all other parts were good) hoping it would fix the problem but hasnt. Im hoping that its simply just the incorrect radiator cap and just allowing coolant to pass before it gets to pressure. Bike isnt overheating as it happens just after it gets to temp. I have noticed the overflow tank is filling but not sending fluid back to the radiator.
Has a new head gasket in and almost all parts are in great cond as its done less than 1000kms.
Also managed to get a massive oil leak from where the oil line bolts to the engine after taking it apart for the waterpump. Im hoping thats just the o ring.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 20, 2015 - 09:26 PM

You say it isn't overheating, but you say coolant is coming out the overflow.....

Have you tried a new cap? Go to 1.6 instead of 1.1,

• GuyGraham

Posted December 21, 2015 - 10:33 AM

Going to a 1.6 cap isn't solving the problem you have

A 1.1 cap is fine, if there is no other problem.

Golden rule of problem solving is don't change something to fix the symptoms of a different problem - fix the original problem!

Assuming you haven't got an airlock in your system, try a new 1.1 cap

If that fails, head gasket is suspect as combustion gases are getting in to the coolant system and blowing past the rad cap as the pressure is too high

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GuyGraham

Posted December 21, 2015 - 11:01 AM

Another thought

your water pump repair went wrong and the pump isn't flowing any water, so it is locally boiling the coolant around the cylinder causing excess pressure

If it was fine before you repaired the water pump, then I'd start there as its the only thing thats changes

• The Intruder

Posted December 21, 2015 - 11:03 AM

You say you put a new head gasket in it. Did you test the cylinder head for warpage or cracks? Is the cylinder warped? Can you smell combustion in the coolent?

• RockerYZWR

Posted December 21, 2015 - 11:58 AM

Or better yet, coolant in the combustion (exhaust) - along with steam if that's the case.

• mlatour

Posted December 21, 2015 - 02:27 PM

Pressure test the cooling system

a few recent threads with similar problems ended up being head gasket related

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.