Rebuild?

8 replies to this topic
  • kshields2

Posted December 20, 2015 - 06:36 PM

I have a 2009 yz450f and am the original owner it's never been rebuilt. Should I rebuild the top end it runs amazing and has well over 150-200 hours, some people say don't mess with it if it's not broke. I recently shimmed the valves and while I was in there I cleaned the piston from all the black stuff built up from the looks of it looked pretty good but i really don't know. What do you guys think new piston or just leave it alone?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1450665370.644174.jpg

• 15thumper

Posted December 20, 2015 - 06:44 PM

Rebuild it now instead of when it blows could end up costing more, plus I guarantee once you do you will realize you had power loss

• knuckleduster271

Posted December 21, 2015 - 08:42 AM

What kind of riding do you do?
Imo 200 hours really isnt much on one of these motors if it was maintained.
If its not using oil or making any noise id run it for a while longer.

• grayracer513

Posted December 21, 2015 - 08:48 AM

I stretched mine out beyond 300 on its original top end.  Then I replaced the piston and rings, honing the original bore, when I did the WR 4/5 swap to the trans.  The bike had no outward signs of needing a top end, but the piston had worn to the point it was dragging on the bore walls between the rings, which area of the piston is not supposed to contact the cylinder.  So, in retrospect, while the whole thing ended well, I really should have gotten the piston in there a bit sooner.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kshields2

Posted December 21, 2015 - 09:01 AM

I ride mostly on trails on trips lasting 4+ hours a day and on the track a handful of times. Now the famous question what do I replace the piston ,rings anything else? And what brand do you guys recommend that is gonna last like my oem? Thanks for the responses!

• kshields2

Posted December 21, 2015 - 11:10 AM

What about valves I saw the Top was kind of chipping on one of them I don't know what that means

• kshields2

Posted December 21, 2015 - 03:47 PM

I stretched mine out beyond 300 on its original top end. Then I replaced the piston and rings, honing the original bore, when I did the WR 4/5 swap to the trans. The bike had no outward signs of needing a top end, but the piston had worn to the point it was dragging on the bore walls between the rings, which area of the piston is not supposed to contact the cylinder. So, in retrospect, while the whole thing ended well, I really should have gotten the piston in there a bit sooner.

Rebuild it now instead of when it blows could end up costing more, plus I guarantee once you do you will realize you had power loss

• KTMfinrider

Posted December 22, 2015 - 01:31 AM

Throw a new cam chain while you are digging it.

• kshields2

Posted December 22, 2015 - 05:20 AM

Throw a new cam chain while you are digging it.

that I replaced a couple months ago

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.