Can you ride a 2 stroke on the freeway?

Hello, I was considering buying a Beta XTrainer 300, but I have to ride streets to get to trails and in between trails.

Can a 2 stroke handle 60 mph for 20 to 30 minutes regularly? I hear many people say they can't take constant rpm and all that. I remember riding 50cc mopeds at WOT for 50 minutes daily without a problem, but again that's not a racing engine. Will a typical enduro KTM 300, Beta 300, etc.. handle 30 minute sessions of 60 mph?

I run a KDX200 on the street every day.  If the jetting is correct and the oil ratio is correct you have no reason to expect problems.  I would also recommend gearing it tall enough that you can cruise at a fairly low RPM.  My KDX runs up to 55 before the power valve opens.

A lot of people don't know what they're talking about.  There used to be a bunch of two stroke street bikes.  One through four cylinders.  They can handle anything if they're set up right.

• Like 5

I run a KDX200 on the street every day.  If the jetting is correct and the oil ratio is correct you have no reason to expect problems.  I would also recommend gearing it tall enough that you can cruise at a fairly low RPM.  My KDX runs up to 55 before the power valve opens.

A lot of people don't know what they're talking about.  There used to be a bunch of two stroke street bikes.  One through four cylinders.  They can handle anything if they're set up right.

I heard it's all about cruising at part throttle not enough oil gets in and it seizes. It's all those people saying all those different things that confuse everyone.  It's so hard to tell fact from fiction in the age of the internet know-it-alls. 

• Like 1

I have had a 125 seize running near max RPM in top gear at 1/8 throttle.  That bike was jetted too lean on the pilot circuit for that kind of treatment.  Very crisp on the track but too lean for running around on the pipe with the throttle essentially closed.  Only small bore engines that hit real hard on the pipe seem to be sensitive to this type of failure.  Taller gearing would have loaded the engine more and required more throttle to hold the same speed, which would have prevented the failure.

Larger engines running lower RPM don't have as much of a tendency to do that.  My KDX actually loads up on oil at a cruise.  I have been systematically jetting down and leaning out the premix ratio to lessen this phenomenon. 

• Like 2

The xtrainer is not for street it's for technical riding. You won't be happy on the highway. That being said I've never had any seat time on one. But it's pretty obvious that would be....... Well a bad idea.

I have one, the RR would be a better choice for a 2t.

That said I would be looking 4t for that criteria 

• Like 2

Aren't they essentially the same engine? How is the gearing on the xtrainer, can it do 60 mph without over revving the engine?

The bike is a bit twitchy at 60 and to do 60 for 30 minutes I would gear it a tad bit different.

I can do 3rd gear starts all day long on my XT, it's just not a street bike. 

My 350 EXC would be a better choice

• Like 1

Short and simple response. Absolutely a very poor choice.

This opinion comes from an individual that has spent years tweaking 2-strokes for many different applications and have gone through a few sets of engine cases, many many cranks, and at least 100 pistons.

If you want a Dual Sport, buy a Dual Sport...

• Like 6

Didn't someone say that the gearbox isn't made for sustained flat riding because it relies on oil sloshing around (Trail Riding) to lubricate properly? I think it was Moto9 & he suggested using a full liter of oil.

If they spec'd an oil level so low that gears aren't partially immersed in oil on flat level ground this bike is so poorly designed I would buy a different one.

Didn't someone say that the gearbox isn't made for sustained flat riding because it relies on oil sloshing around (Trail Riding) to lubricate properly? I think it was Moto9 & he suggested using a full liter of oil.

Where do people get all those weird facts from.

I have to agree the xt300 is a poor choice for a dual sport.

Aren't they essentially the same engine? How is the gearing on the xtrainer, can it do 60 mph without over revving the engine?

The gearing on the xtrainer is pretty low.  I've done 58 mph on mine and it was wrung out, no way it could cruise at 60.  You could gear it up but even then it's not going to be happy on the road and may start to suck in the woods with tall gearing. 

• Like 2

I agree & am keeping the sprockets as is. My Pampera which was originally a dualsport from the factory had tall 5th & 6th gears as many two stroke trials bikes do & did better at high speeds & was still geared low enough for trail riding. I believe the KTM "W" models have similar gearing. Not sure why Beta didnt.

The gearing on the xtrainer is pretty low.  I've done 58 mph on mine and it was wrung out, no way it could cruise at 60.  You could gear it up but even then it's not going to be happy on the road and may start to suck in the woods with tall gearing. 

• Like 3

I agree & am keeping the sprockets as is. My Pampera which was originally a dualsport from the factory had tall 5th & 6th gears as many two stroke trials bikes do & did better at high speeds & was still geared low enough for trail riding. I believe the KTM "W" models have similar gearing. Not sure why Beta didnt.

My friend has a 250 exc 2002, he can go close to 100 mph, cruise at 75. The problem is, it's too tall for me. I can't touch the ground and it's too dangerous. If I stop or stall the bike on a cliff I will defiantly drop the bike and tumble sideways down the mountain.

Couple ideas, carry 2 front sprockets and switch out at the trail head....10 minutes max if you're setup for it.

If your worried about seizing run the main a little fat and intermittently hit the kill button to send extra fuel in too help keep it cooler and we'll lubed.

Edited by moto9
  • Like 2