I found this review of the 2016 wr450f

21 replies to this topic
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 14, 2015 - 09:28 AM

Its the first written thing I've seen.  

https://rustsports.s...RustSpecial.pdf

• woods-rider

Posted December 14, 2015 - 10:04 AM

Interesting, sounds like the author was a bit under-impressed with it.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 14, 2015 - 10:26 AM

Interesting, sounds like the author was a bit under-impressed with it.

More than a bit it seems.    Its only the first review.  We certainly can't go off of this alone.

He also has a video

https://www.youtube....h?v=yriJw_FU910

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 14, 2015 - 10:51 AM

You have to remember, that in EU enduros, you are riding slow, off camber, wet terrain 90% if the time.

That is why in the review they clarify the best description of the bike as 'some where between Enduro and Rally'....just like the previous WR bikes.

This bike is not meant to compete directly with the KTM/Husky/Betas in that kind of terrain,  but to be a refined version of the previous WR, capable of doing more than just 'Euro Enduro'.

Because Yamaha is starting from the MX line for all models (unlike KTM's, which (used to) start from the Enduro line for all models) it is at a disadvantage when you compare it to the 'spindly' way the Europeans design bikes.

Besides, testing on hardpack and dry terrain using HD mousse and Michelin soft terrain enduro tires is  just plain stupid.

Obviously, this was not a 'real' review, but a mere 'riding impression. 

Perhaps they should have spend less time reviewing the WR history, and instead have taken the time to properly set up the bike before riding it.....

• stevethe

Posted December 14, 2015 - 02:41 PM

Surprisingly the bike came with or had the competition ECU. Although the stock exhaust sounded pretty whimpy.

It's not easy to review a stock bike that's not really set up. When I bought my WR's new they were so plugged up they would hardly run.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 14, 2015 - 03:27 PM

Surprisingly the bike came with or had the competition ECU. Although the stock exhaust sounded pretty whimpy.

It's not easy to review a stock bike that's not really set up. When I bought my WR's new they were so plugged up they would hardly run.

Yeah, those were not USA spec bikes, for sure.

• Dualsportwr450

Posted December 14, 2015 - 05:04 PM

If they only made it a 500 with a 6spd

• patrick2wd

Posted December 15, 2015 - 08:15 AM

IMHO Eu Wr's have the competition ecu as standard..

and I'm going to move to Spain... looks much better out there than in the flat Dutch coutryside.... :rant:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 15, 2015 - 10:08 AM

If they only made it a 500 with a 6spd

And why not make it orange too!   KTM makes one.  Actually, they make two, the second with different color plastic and graphics.

I've always thought that the yamaha wr450's had plenty of grunt down low and didn't need any more cc's for the average weekend warrior like me.     I'm even ok with the 5spd if it could pull the gears.    I think that the wr's have been great with the longer 2nd and 3rd gears.     But I do see the benefit of another gear if I were a serious racer or riding more aggressively.   But if that were the case, I might have a second bike for those days.  Just my opinion here...

Speaking of KTM's which will be a comparison...  KRANNIE has frequently talked about KTM's having "soft" power.    Speaking as a guy who had a wr and then started sipping the koolaid... he's got a great point.   KTM 450's lack the same grunt that WR's have had.   You know...  2nd gear, 1/3 throttle, crawl up a loose technical hill kind of grunt.

Its actually kind of good to hear the guy say that its not like the ktm450's.   We want something a little different, we want options, don't we?  

What I don't know at this point, is if the new wr's will be worth the 50% new bike premium over a used 2012-15 model.   I'm waiting to find that out.

Edited by mauricedorris, December 15, 2015 - 10:10 AM.

• RMK800

Posted December 15, 2015 - 12:23 PM

2016 YZ450FX Review. Not a lot of detail, but something.

http://motocross.tra...9QOOvWDEvSva.97

Edited by RMK800, December 15, 2015 - 12:27 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dualsportwr450

Posted December 15, 2015 - 01:44 PM

I've owned 2 Wrs a 08 and a 12 both set up as good as you can get them. I run mainly desert. I just sold both of them and they were played. I just got back from the la to Vegas ride and I was trying to click 6th gear all day the problem was it isn't there... I've been buying yamahas since I started riding. I ordered a husky 501. Wish Yamaha made the same bike 6th gear and 500. It's gonna be difficult to think I'm going euro after 20 years of yamahas but hey they need to get with the program.

• Dualsportwr450

Posted December 15, 2015 - 01:47 PM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1450216020.391423.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1450216061.496082.jpg

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 15, 2015 - 01:51 PM

I've owned 2 Wrs a 08 and a 12 both set up as good as you can get them. I run mainly desert. I just sold both of them and they were played. I just got back from the la to Vegas ride and I was trying to click 6th gear all day the problem was it isn't there... I've been buying yamahas since I started riding. I ordered a husky 501. Wish Yamaha made the same bike 6th gear and 500. It's gonna be difficult to think I'm going euro after 20 years of yamahas but hey they need to get with the program.

Husky is contending a big team fore GNCC and Baja work this coming year. 

They pull off the WP front and rear and install Olins, port the head, and remap it,  before the first ride.

Next year, the KTM XC bikes will be pretty good with all the current MX upgrades being applied....but the WP suspension is still waaaaaaay behind.

• Dualsportwr450

Posted December 15, 2015 - 01:53 PM

4 chamber forks and shock. The exc still has the crappy suspension the huskys have linkage now.

• Dualsportwr450

Posted December 15, 2015 - 02:05 PM

Hard to beat Yamaha suspension. Loved mine I think the manufacturers between the Japanese and the Europeans have a secret deal like stay out of the off-road market and we stay out of the super cross department. The euros make bikes more for off-road and enduro and the Japanese are more race oriented via supercross

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 15, 2015 - 02:06 PM

4 chamber forks and shock. The exc still has the crappy suspension the huskys have linkage now.

It's not about the linkage, it's the forks.  The 4CS is still too whimpy for words, even after KTM World, or LT Industries, or anyone, gets done with them. 

• Dualsportwr450

Posted December 15, 2015 - 02:09 PM

I'm hearing dicks racing does some awesome mods for the wp suspension

• KennyMc

Posted December 15, 2015 - 07:36 PM

Husky is contending a big team fore GNCC and Baja work this coming year.
They pull off the WP front and rear and install Olins, port the head, and remap it, before the first ride.

Next year, the KTM XC bikes will be pretty good with all the current MX upgrades being applied....but the WP suspension is still waaaaaaay behind.

The '17's may have the air forks....

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 15, 2015 - 07:58 PM

The '17's may have the air forks....

I say WP's are already full of hot air....

• tomerb

Posted December 15, 2015 - 08:36 PM

Dualsportwr450, on 15 Dec 2015 - 2:44 PM, said:

What gearing do you have?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.