Dirt and water passed the air filter screen 2014 YZ450

10 replies to this topic
  • mxvet137

Posted December 13, 2015 - 04:17 PM

After washing my bike with the Twinair air filter cover in place, a little water made it passed the Twinair cover into the intake. I shined a flashlight into to intake and noticed that tiny granules of dirt also passed through the screen into the intake. I service my air filter after every ride and even use a small amount of Notoil grease to seal the filter. I'm pissed. This shouldn't be happening. I guess I need to take off the intake and clean it out. Anyone experience this on 2014-2106 YZ450's? Suggestions? Thanks. Dave

• grayracer513

Posted December 13, 2015 - 06:52 PM

Pressure washer? 

• mxvet137

Posted December 13, 2015 - 10:45 PM

Pressure washer? 

No, but the pressure from my hose with a nozzle is really strong. I have the Cycra Powerflow Shroud kit and the filter and air box gets really dirty after 1 ride. I started using the Twinair cover to clean that area when I washed the bike. I can't understand how dirt made it past my filter and through the screen. It's just tiny little particles of dirt, but still.

• Ctown208

Posted December 13, 2015 - 11:18 PM

Just pull the intake and the throttle body off then you can rest at peace. That's my opinion only takes 15 mins to strip it and handle the issue

• GHILL28

Posted December 14, 2015 - 10:51 AM

You have to let the whole area around the filter cover dry before putting the foam on there.  If there's still water there, it will go through/under the foam.  The angle of the airbox opening doesn't help this.

I usually leave the airbox cover on there overnight while I'm cleaning/oiling the air filter, just so there's no water present both on the filter, and on the airbox.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxvet137

Posted December 14, 2015 - 11:00 AM

Just pull the intake and the throttle body off then you can rest at peace. That's my opinion only takes 15 mins to strip it and handle the issue

Sounds like good advice. Thanks!

• mxvet137

Posted December 14, 2015 - 11:04 AM

You have to let the whole area around the filter cover dry before putting the foam on there.  If there's still water there, it will go through/under the foam.  The angle of the airbox opening doesn't help this.

I usually leave the airbox cover on there overnight while I'm cleaning/oiling the air filter, just so there's no water present both on the filter, and on the airbox.

There was no water prior to putting on the Twinair cover. I just carefully pulled off the air filter, cleaned the area where is seats with contact cleaner, then put on the Twinair cover nice and tight. I washed the bike and used a towel and compressed air to blow off everything. The next day I went to prep it and pulled the cover off and found that water had penetrated the cover. Not a lot but enough to concern me. Thats when I noticed that a tiny bit of dirt had made it passed the screen into the intake, which really concerned me. Thanks.

• GHILL28

Posted December 14, 2015 - 11:06 AM

If you used an aerosol contact cleaner, that may have blown debris into the boot?  Doesn't explain the water however.

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2015 - 11:14 AM

Ease up on the water pressure while washing the area.  Even a high pressure nozzle on a garden hose can drive water under stuff like an air box cover, and dirt with it.  Pressure washers can actually shove water past a gasket.  A "shower head" style spray is much more advisable. 

• mxvet137

Posted December 15, 2015 - 03:54 PM

If you used an aerosol contact cleaner, that may have blown debris into the boot?  Doesn't explain the water however.

No, I wouldn't do that. :) I sprayed it on a paper towel and wiped it down. Thx

• mxvet137

Posted December 15, 2015 - 03:56 PM

Ease up on the water pressure while washing the area.  Even a high pressure nozzle on a garden hose can drive water under stuff like an air box cover, and dirt with it.  Pressure washers can actually shove water past a gasket.  A "shower head" style spray is much more advisable. 

That's what I thought. I've seen Factory mechanics using the Twinair air box cover and a pressure washer, so I thought it would be okay. Guess not.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.