Chain Bufffer ? from a red guy.

6 replies to this topic
  • huffa

Posted March 03, 2002 - 01:58 PM

Hey Blue guys, hows it going over here? I have a question as to: does your buffer wear out more rapidly than the yz 250 or about the same? The reason I ask (some of you problably know this already) is because we are having over the past few months quite a dilemma as to why a large percentage of us are wearing them out extremly fast. Some say it's not running the chain tight enough (on the honda's this year you only run them with about 3/4 inch play at the most) others say they get much better wear if you use a 00-02 250 slider, others say it was just a bad batch made with inferior material so this is why I am asking you guys because of the 426 and 400 being out for years I'd fiquire I would get alot more feedback possibly. I myself think it might be a combination of too loose a chain and the fact that the 4-strokes vibrate the chain more when it's loose. I noticed that it's slightly scraping the edge of my mudflap too. THANKS FOR YOUR REPLYS - Apreciate it!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 03, 2002 - 02:09 PM

Hey Huffa........
Glad to see that my point to "freak-rider" over on the Red side was not too far off.(about gettin all the GOOD info you can anywhere!)
I have had my 99' for 3full yrs and only replaced the slider once. It is due again but decided to experiment and save a few bucks maybe.
Motoman393 suggested to slip a little foam under the slider to raise it. That seemed to work for him. Since then, a ton of variations have come in.
. My personal experiment was taking an old FLY thick tube and tracing the slider out on it and cut it out w/scissors. Then I JB welded it to the inside of the slider. It raised the slider up and put 4mm between the swingarm and the bottom of the worn out slider.
. I have ridden only about 20-30 miles on it but seems to be holding up great!
> others have said something about sticky door insulation. sounds like it would work but maybe not the same duration.
TRH :)

• sirthumpalot

Posted March 04, 2002 - 02:02 AM

I replaced my stock slider along with the stock chain and sprockets. I got about 8 months riding out of it. It wasn't worn through yet but it was getting thin.

There are some after market sliders which will supposibly outlast the stockers but I have not yet tried them myself. Maybe these are worth a shot for you guys. How fast are they wearing out on you?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzrider

Posted March 04, 2002 - 06:21 AM

Just a thought.

I have had both the 2000 and the 2001 YZF426. The chain sliders seemed to be a bit different on the two models. The 2000 was possibly a thinner piece and while I am not an expert, it did appear to be made of slightly different material. Both of the sliders had a tendency to move around a bit on the swingarm. I was of the opinion that this would cause wearing (not to the slider, but to the swingarm). I tighten the chain slider down so it does not move in any direction. The stock slider on my 2000 was almost 2 years old and was just getting to the point where I would need to replace. Luckily - some swell fellow stole the bike before I would have had to shell out for a new one. How thoughtful. Now you know why I have a 2001...

Chain slider wear would seem to be a given. Keep an eye on it, and replace as necessary. If anyone finds a good aftermarket slider - let us know. The stockers are pretty dang expensive.

• huffa

Posted March 04, 2002 - 10:57 PM

Originally posted by sirthumpalot:
I replaced my stock slider along with the stock chain and sprockets. I got about 8 months riding out of it. It wasn't worn through yet but it was getting thin.

There are some after market sliders which will supposibly outlast the stockers but I have not yet tried them myself. Maybe these are worth a shot for you guys. How fast are they wearing out on you?

I have got about 8 hours on mine and it looks like it's almost replacement time already. I just got in the mail today an acerbis for 14.95 which seems like a good deal to me. I had my stock chain on so that might of been part of the problem with it streching so fast it would wear the buffer out quicker. I usually ride 45- 60 minutes at a time and when I would come in the stoker needed adj. I'm sure this won't happen with a quality chain. Seems like guys with the good quality chains on didn't have the problem so much. I think the main culprit is to not let the chain get loose at ALL on the crf and keep 3/4 of play.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 04, 2002 - 11:08 AM

The CRF seems to go through chain sliders pretty quick as I know 2 Ga riders/racers here that have replaced on both bikes with approx. 20-25hrs of ride time on each bike. These are with aftermarket chains....I believe one has replaced with Acerbis the other may be TY Davis...

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted March 04, 2002 - 11:30 AM

A friend of mine on a 426 had his chain break yesterday. That was the first broken chain I've ever seen. It snapped the case saver in half and also took out the lower thread bosses on the crankcase. Looks like he'll be getting some welding done. There is so far also unknown damage to the countershaft. All because he apparently didn't have enough slack in the chain. He didn't seem to have any swingarm guard wear, either. The manual says to keep 1-/2 to 2 inches of slack in the chain. I'd recommend following that.

I used to go through a swingarm guard once a month. To fix it, I put double-sided tape between the guard and the swingarm. That keeps the guard firmly against the swingarm so there is no opportunity for anything to rub. It protects both the swingarm and the guard. Others have done it a little differently, but I think the results are the same in any case.

There have been several threads covering this exact topic on Thumpertalk. Heres one. Search the WR400/426 and YZ400/YZ426 forum for others.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.