5th gear progress

17 replies to this topic
  • RiderDeAzul

Posted December 11, 2015 - 02:10 PM

After fiddling with jetting and my 5th gear still having sputtering issues, I decided to try it with the tps unplugged, I can now run about 1/8 throttle without sputtering but anything more I get the sputtering, does this possibly mean that my tps just needs plugged in again and adjusted?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 11, 2015 - 03:54 PM

What year

• stevethe

Posted December 11, 2015 - 03:59 PM

Read stuttering ignition from JD jetting https://www.jdjetting.com/html/faq.htm

• RiderDeAzul

Posted December 11, 2015 - 04:06 PM

What year

Read stuttering ignition from JD jetting https://www.jdjetting.com/html/faq.htm

Ahh, so it is normal? It feels sort of violent to me haha, did it get rid of the stuttering for you by disconnecting the TPS?

• stevethe

Posted December 11, 2015 - 04:58 PM

Ahh, so it is normal? It feels sort of violent to me haha, did it get rid of the stuttering for you by disconnecting the TPS?

No if you do a lot of street riding the Dynatek ignition does the trick.

• RiderDeAzul

Posted December 11, 2015 - 05:07 PM

No if you do a lot of street riding the Dynatek ignition does the trick.

I will probably never really use 5th gear, as I ride off-road mainly, but it just really really annoys me knowing that it does that. Is the ignition easy to install, just plug and go?

• stevethe

Posted December 11, 2015 - 05:09 PM

I will probably never really use 5th gear, as I ride off-road mainly, but it just really really annoys me knowing that it does that. Is the ignition easy to install, just plug and go?

Dial it to the torque map plug it in and go.

• RiderDeAzul

Posted December 11, 2015 - 05:28 PM

Holy crap $350, maybe I'll just deal with the sputtering, thanks for the help though, I noticed my brother's bike does not have TPS, is it only on the enduro type bikes?

• stevethe

Posted December 11, 2015 - 07:37 PM

No the YZ also has a throttle position sensor. However the issue with the WR is it tries to go between two maps and stutters. Disconnecting the TPS helps some.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RiderDeAzul

Posted December 11, 2015 - 07:52 PM

So should I do the grey wire mod?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 11, 2015 - 08:25 PM

Holy crap $350, maybe I'll just deal with the sputtering, thanks for the help though, I noticed my brother's bike does not have TPS, is it only on the enduro type bikes?

If you actually have ignition 'stutter', it will do it in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear, at partial throttle openings.

If you jet the bike really well for right off idle (precise fuel screw adjustment), and adjust your tps for lower resistance (about .5 - .6 ohms) you can minimize the effect.

The problem is in the ECU on the 2007- 2011 WR only. 

The ECU on the YZ does not have the same problem, but you cannot transfer it over.  You have to use the dyna tek ECU. 

What also is common is 'chain slap' against the swing arm, which also causes a stutter effect.

• RiderDeAzul

Posted December 11, 2015 - 09:09 PM

What do you recommend for chain slack? I'll try adjusting my jetting and attempt to adjust tps tomorrow

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 12, 2015 - 05:26 AM

What do you recommend for chain slack? I'll try adjusting my jetting and attempt to adjust tps tomorrow

Follow the manual's recommendation

Or, do it the 'tension measure' method:  Get the swingarm pivot, countershaft, and rear axle in a straight line (use tie downs or some friends sitting on the bike, or remove the shock) and set the chain to a light tension at this (the longest part of the swing arc). Now take the weight off, put the bike on a stand, and measure chain slack from a known/repeatable spot. 

You can make a spacer out of wood to use for quick measurements rather than a tape measure.....

• RiderDeAzul

Posted December 12, 2015 - 09:13 AM

Alright, thanks, I'll try that.

• RiderDeAzul

Posted December 12, 2015 - 10:51 AM

Just read the AP sticky and was wondering if the accelerator pump would have anything to do with this also, if there is a possibility of that I might as well do that when I mess with my jetting and chain.

• RiderDeAzul

Posted December 17, 2015 - 05:45 PM

Well, my friend and I have both decided that it feels electronic, any ideas? (The chain didnt work and tps unplugged didn't make much of a difference either)

Also does anyone know what this hole is/ what it is for? It occasionally leaks coolant but only when cold.[attachment=288737:ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1450403400.323610.jpg]

Edited by RiderDeAzul, December 17, 2015 - 05:49 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 17, 2015 - 07:52 PM

You did not attach a pic, but you are probably referring to the weep hole under the water pump

You really need to download a service manual....

• RiderDeAzul

Posted December 17, 2015 - 08:04 PM

You did not attach a pic, but you are probably referring to the weep hole under the water pump

You really need to download a service manual....

Yes, that's what it is, I am just confused as to why it does not leak when I am actually riding, but only when idling after a cold start, I'm guessing it is probably the seals, but I figured I'd ask here first.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.