Re-Carburating my 99´ YZ400

21 replies to this topic
  • Domnaek

Posted December 08, 2015 - 08:44 AM

Hey guys!

As many of you I have Idle Problems with my old FCR carburetor in my 99´ YZ400. I tried everything, new hoses, all new rubberseals, cleaned the carb about 5 times and rejettet. Nothing worked.

Im planing on swapping to a YZ450F Carburetor, but as I´m from germany, the YZ450 carburetors are extremely rare and expensive. 

Can I use a FCR39 Carb from a KTM for example? Of course modelyear 2005 and earlier.

I know I will have to rejet the carb and refit all the necessary throttle and hot start cables.

Attached you will find a picture of a FCR39 Carb I could buy. It is a 2010 FCR39 Carb.

Thanks guys,

Carb 1.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• Carb2.JPG
  • Carb3.JPG
  • carb4.JPG

Edited by Domnaek, December 08, 2015 - 08:45 AM.

• Mrrcx

Posted December 08, 2015 - 09:51 AM

Hey, Check out the wear inside the carb where the slides rollers go.  they can wear and the slide will rattle at idle causing issues.  if its too worn out dump it for a new one

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2015 - 12:06 PM

Should be usable, yes.  Just duplicate the OEM YZ450 jetting and go forth. 

But, be careful that the main air jet and pilot air jets are not overlooked in the process, and that the main nozzles are of the same size, or you may end up with a considerable calibration headache.

• Domnaek

Posted December 09, 2015 - 03:03 AM

Alright, thanks a bunch!

I will keep you guys updated as soon as I get the carb.

See you then ;)

• Domnaek

Posted January 12, 2016 - 05:32 AM

Hey there!

I am just one step away from finishing a deal for a 2007 FCR 39 carb. Unfortunately my bike is 500km away from me, so I can´t measure the outer diameter of the original intake manifold of the original carb.

Could yuu guys tell me the outer diameter of both the intake manifold from the engine- and airfilter side??

Thanks alot:)

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2016 - 07:06 AM

That carb will plug in to your stock air boot and carb mount sleeve, if that's what you wanted to find out.  The later carb is a little shorter, so the trick is to clamp the air boot onto it first, then push it forward into the isolator sleeve, stretching the boot a little in the process.  

• Domnaek

Posted January 12, 2016 - 09:02 AM

yep that´s exactly what I wanted to know. Just thought there might be some diameter differences of the manifolds within the fcr39´s. 

Anyway, thank you!

• Domnaek

Posted January 12, 2016 - 11:40 AM

Carb is bought! Hopefully next week it will be shipped and I can check all the jets and order the right ones if necessary.

See you next week :D

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2016 - 11:45 AM

Your baseline should be stock jetting for the YZ450. 

• Domnaek

Posted January 14, 2016 - 06:44 AM

Is this the stock 450 Jetting?

Main: 160
   Pilot: 45
   Needle: NFLR
   Clip position: Third from top
   Fuel screw: 2-3/8 turns
   Leak jet: 55

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 14, 2016 - 08:03 AM

Is this the stock 450 Jetting?

Main: 160
   Pilot: 45
   Needle: NFLR
   Clip position: Third from top
   Fuel screw: 2-3/8 turns
   Leak jet: 55

Not quite, but close.

OEM 2007 YZ450F(W) Jetting:

Main Jet: 160
Pilot Jet: 45
Starter Jet: 72
Leak Jet : 55
Fuel screw/Setting: 1.25-1.75 turns out
Needle/Position: NFLR-4 

• Domnaek

Posted January 31, 2016 - 07:19 AM

I´m cleaning my new FCR carb and have just ran into the first problem:

As the new carb was shipped without the TPS-sensor, I tried to refit the sensor from my old carb to the new one. The problem is, that the rotating pin that goes into the sensor, turns clockwise on the old carburator, but counter clockwise on the new carb when opening the throttle. If I would refit the old sensor, the reading would be totally off by 180 degrees. Do I have to buy a new TPS-sensor or can I just install the sensor?

I just found 2 different sensortypes online:

-This is from my old carb (with 2 screwholes) My new carb only needs 1 screwhole.

-And this one, which actually has one screwhole and would fit exactly on my carb

Edited by Domnaek, January 31, 2016 - 07:23 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted January 31, 2016 - 08:10 AM

You need the correct sensor for the carb year model.

• Domnaek

Posted May 29, 2016 - 05:37 AM

alright this is slowly becoming a nightmare...

I reshimmed the Intake as I had to change the Intake camshaft because the previous owner shot the Camshaft bearing and the timing was completely off. No wonder it didnt run good. After that I rebuild my new Carb with all the necessary jets. I had to re-use the existing throttle cable as the ones from a 450 didn´t fit. Reassembled everything and it fired up on the second kick on joke today.

And the bike runs awfull... Whenever I touch the gas the bike idles really high, I give it a slight, but powerfull throttlepull and it idles great again. Then sometimes the idle goes really low and it stalls. 

Don´t know what to do now

• Baldwin

Posted May 29, 2016 - 06:22 AM

Are they brand new jets that you put in?

• Domnaek

Posted May 29, 2016 - 10:37 AM

Are they brand new jets that you put in?

Absolutely yes :)

• Domnaek

Posted June 06, 2016 - 01:02 AM

Reopened the carb, cleaned everything and readjusted the throttlecables as they were a bit too tight. Still having the same problem.

Does anyone happen to know the base-setting for the Idle screw? I dont mean the brass one, but the plastic one for adjusting the opening of the throttle valve?

• toten

Posted June 06, 2016 - 12:22 PM

Your symptoms sound about like a vacuum leak to me.

If it's idling at a reasonable rpm the idle speed screw is set about right.

• Domnaek

Posted June 09, 2016 - 03:59 PM

Yep the idling is "sometimes" in the right range. Im confused on where the Hot start button and where the Chokge button should be?! There re 2 openings of course but both buttons fit bth holes. And I saw a lot of pictures on the web where they used it either way.

• grayracer513

Posted June 10, 2016 - 06:37 AM

A 450 carb does not have a hot start knob on the carb.  That's cable operated, and goes in a vertically drilled bore at the left front of the throttle slide well cover on top.  If you have two horizontal bores on the left side, it's a carb from a 2000 - 2002 YZ426, just a newer issue of the same piece of junk you had already. 

Hot start goes in the forward of the two, BTW.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.