Fork oil weight. How does this affect handling?

4 replies to this topic
  • slowxr

Posted March 01, 2004 - 03:02 PM

In general, how does lighter weight oil affect handling compared to heavier oil?
I changed the stock oil to 2.5 weight and I seem to feel every bump I ride over.
I road another XR650 with 5 weight and it seemed to be much smoother.
Was this just my imagination?

• BWB63

Posted March 01, 2004 - 06:41 PM

Sounds like you have to much oil in the forks. With 2.5wt oil it should be plusher, more like riding on a pillow. With the lighter oil you will need a stiffer rebound setting then the 5wt rebound. About one or two clicks more. The oil is messured with the forks springs out and all the way compressed. 110mm from the top is a good place to start.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • irondude

Posted March 01, 2004 - 07:46 PM

I recently switched from 5 wt to 2.5 wt--and i gotta tell ya- it took a few weeks to get the clickers dialed in--but the bike now handles everything much better.

You might have the wrong amount of oil, or some other issue now goin gon with yoiur forks-but the 2.5 gives a much plusher ride. Well recommended. 110mm from the top of the tubes with the spring out and the tube fully collapsed is what most go with. If your fat and jump triples-maybe more like 95mm.
Maybe you have some warn parts in the forks? Stiffer springs? Something else is going on-not the oil weight.

• slowxr

Posted March 02, 2004 - 06:20 AM

Interesting. I'm about 200lbs with my riding gear on. T
he bike is nearly new. I'm pretty sure I measured the only properly but maybe I didn't. I'll have to check it out.

• BrianVT

Posted March 05, 2004 - 02:45 PM

If you didn't pump the rod a few times while filling (to bleed 'em) you may have air in the cartridges, which would give those symptoms. It'll work it's way through from riding but your fill levels may not be what you measured. You may wanna re-check 'em.

Related Content

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 1 reply

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.