Owned my 426 for a year, no prodlems.

6 replies to this topic
  • yamie_rider

Posted March 03, 2002 - 08:11 AM

I bought my YZF about this time last year. Its my first bike and its been great, not one problem yet. I do all the regular maintanence and stuff but I have the feeling my luck is going to run out. What are some of the major things that should be done to these bikes after about 100 hours or so of use. Any advice or tips you guys have would be great.

Posted March 05, 2002 - 06:59 AM

Be sure to grease your bearings and pivot points every know and then with a quality water-proof grease, and don't forget to check and adjust your valves. A broken valve will ruin your motor and cost you hundreds.

• ThomasYZ426F

Posted March 05, 2002 - 08:50 AM

How hard is it to adjust the valves?

I've got about 30 to 40 hours on my 01 and have not done that yet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_H

Posted March 05, 2002 - 02:40 PM

That reminds me. My WR426 is 1 year old this month too. No major problems either.

• yamie_rider

Posted March 05, 2002 - 03:17 PM

Good question Thomas ,Thats what I would like to know?

• h_bomb

Posted March 05, 2002 - 03:26 PM

These bikes are pretty tough? :)

• bassr_#186

Posted March 05, 2002 - 04:29 PM

Here area few things to keep an eye on based on what I have noticed on my 00' 426 during the last few weeks:

Throttle cable (the "pull side" will begin to fray); steering head bearings (unless you've greased them at regular intervals, they might be just about done); relay arm bearings (these seem to wear faster than the other bearings in the rear suspension); shift lever (if you have to tighten it often, it is probably because it has stretched - if not, don't worry about it); rear swingarm under the chain buffer (see the posts on how to keep the buffer from eating into the swingarm).

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.