´12 WR fuel pump wont prime

14 replies to this topic
  • rangerclass7sx

Posted December 02, 2015 - 01:45 PM

hi guys my 2012 wr450f wont prime the fuel pump when i turn on the ignition switch, but i tested the pump and works fine. any pointers on where and what to check? is this common?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 02, 2015 - 03:32 PM

Maybe it does not need priming.

The bike runs ok?

The pump filter is spotless?

• rangerclass7sx

Posted December 02, 2015 - 03:38 PM

Maybe it does not need priming.

The bike runs ok?

The pump filter is spotless?

the bike will not start, the pump would always turn on for second and click off like a car when you open the ignition, now it wont do that...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 02, 2015 - 03:40 PM

the bike will not start, the pump would always turn on for second and click off like a car when you open the ignition, now it wont do that...

Did you test it with fuel or water for at least 5 min?

• rangerclass7sx

Posted December 02, 2015 - 07:17 PM

No Sir, i ran it for a bout 30 seconds and ran perfectly fine  , im starting to think it could be switch maybe, it happened a few times a while back and i click it on and off the switch and the pump kicked in again... but nothing now... , maybe a relay? the computer speedo lights up and works fine

Edited by rangerclass7sx, December 02, 2015 - 07:20 PM.

• Lonsdale

Posted December 02, 2015 - 07:50 PM

The kill switch may be stuck?

• rangerclass7sx

Posted December 02, 2015 - 11:03 PM

The kill switch may be stuck?

no, that doesnt kill the fuel pump, and yes krannie the filter is spotless

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Lonsdale

Posted December 03, 2015 - 02:47 AM

Edited by Lonsdale, December 03, 2015 - 07:11 AM.

• DangerRanger245

Posted December 03, 2015 - 07:38 PM

Can you elaborate on this Krannie?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 03, 2015 - 07:40 PM

Can you elaborate on this Krannie?

The pump cannot be determined as good or bad until it gets hot from use.

It must be tested with liquid, or you will damage it.

It is common to see a failing pump bind up once hot, but work fine before that.

• DangerRanger245

Posted December 03, 2015 - 08:20 PM

So how would one go about doing that? Give it voltage and feed it liquid? Or test it on the bike

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 04, 2015 - 06:45 AM

So how would one go about doing that? Give it voltage and feed it liquid? Or test it on the bike

Pull the pump off the tank,  rig up a test system with a jug of liquid and hoses, and a fuel pressure guage.

You are looking for 65ftlbs+ for the entire test of at least 5 minutes.

• Ride-n-Hard

Posted December 04, 2015 - 03:19 PM

You could first try putting a meter on the pump leads to make sure your still getting voltage to the pump. That way you have isolated the problem to the the pump and not the circuitry before you go to all that trouble pulling pumps and such.

Edited by Ride-n-Hard, December 04, 2015 - 03:19 PM.

• Bass Mechanic

Posted December 05, 2015 - 06:21 AM

You could first try putting a meter on the pump leads to make sure your still getting voltage to the pump. That way you have isolated the problem to the the pump and not the circuitry before you go to all that trouble pulling pumps and such.

Having an extensive background in electronics this is the most logical way.
Also I suspect there may be a pressure switch that turns the pump on and off which is what makes it cycle when you turn it on. You'll need to look at the schematic in the owners manual. If all the electrical checks out, then you can work the mechanical side of it

• Ride-n-Hard

Posted December 05, 2015 - 09:11 AM

Maybe the tilt / fall over sensor is bad and it thinks the bike is on its side.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.