WR 400 hesitation

5 replies to this topic
  • Rocketvet

Posted March 01, 2004 - 11:28 AM

I have a 2000 WR 400 and have recently done an exhaust insert change, air box mod, and grey wire disconnect. The bike always tended to "stumble" from idle to about 1/8 throttle and it hasn't really changed with the mods. Any jetting or carb mods that would remove this annoyance?

• MonK_E

Posted March 01, 2004 - 01:03 PM

welcome to TT.

if you have done the air box and exhaust mods re jetting will be necessary. :)

• Hick

Posted March 01, 2004 - 01:56 PM

Any jetting or carb mods that would remove this annoyance?

Do a search on this term: "BK Mod"

You may also consider a wholesale re-jetting now that it is uncorked/uncovered.

Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rocketvet

Posted March 02, 2004 - 11:04 AM

Someone else I exchanged an e-mail with suggested adjusting the pilot screw and checking the pilot jet since the problem seems to be from idle to about 1/8 throttle. Anyone have any experience with this?

• faggio40

Posted March 02, 2004 - 11:37 AM

Someone else I exchanged an e-mail with suggested adjusting the pilot screw and checking the pilot jet since the problem seems to be from idle to about 1/8 throttle. Anyone have any experience with this?

It isn't simple to suggest you some "universal advices" to help you: It's correct to adjust pilot screw and pilot jet, but how many you have to modify these set up it's depend from the mods that you have done.

bye

• Hick

Posted March 02, 2004 - 02:07 PM

You're going to have to bite the bullet and learn to jet the bike. It is easy, the bike is talking, you just need to listen.

So it has a stumble at about 1/8th. Hmm. What to do.

How about a long cruise in a tall gear at the same throttle position? That eliminates the effect of the accelerator pump. If the bike surges during this test try a richer setting, if it stumbles try leaner. Get it as good as you can. If it is really 1/8th throttle then the pilot screw should affect things, a good rule of thumb is that if you end up richer than 2-1/4 turns out, or leaner than 1-1/2 turns out you may want to try another pilot jet.

Now, once you have a steady-state situation worked out, if the stumble is still there when you twist it (likely) then you need to adjust your accelerator pump w/ the BK mod.

Hope this helps.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.