Oil Change

5 replies to this topic
  • Skiplo3

Posted March 03, 2002 - 05:48 AM

I am wanting to use castrol 20W50 in my 98 yz400. The reason is because its 45 miles to the nearest bike shop to get EXPENSIVE oil, and 4 miles to wal-mart. If im going to have to change my oil every 3 rides it would be alot easier on me to use castrol 20W50. Does anyone know of any reason why I couldnt or shouldnt do this.

• skthom2320

Posted March 03, 2002 - 05:56 AM

What oil to use has been beaten to death on this board. Do a search on oil to see!

I and many others use Mobil 1 15-50 fully synthetic (red cap) available at wally-world. You need to use a non-energy conserving oil (non-EC). The red cap version of Mobil 1 full synth fits the bill.

Regards,

Steve T

[ March 03, 2002: Message edited by: skthom2320 ]

• dirtdad

Posted March 03, 2002 - 09:39 AM

ditto what skthom2320 said. The oil debate has been beaten to death here. You can find alot of good info though just doing the search. Also fyi
for anyone interested, I've been getting Mobil 1 15w50 (red top) for $2.94 a qt. at Target! I've been stocking up every pay-day just in case they realize how cheap they're selling it!

[ March 03, 2002: Message edited by: dirtdad ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Skiplo3

Posted March 03, 2002 - 10:43 PM

I sent my son to wal-mart to get some mobil 1 15w50 red cap. This oil says tri-synthetic formula and at the bottom says fully synthetic, is this the wrong oil? I thought we didnt need to use synthetic oil because of the clutch. Or do they make mobil 1 petroleum 15w50?

Thanks, Skip

• RichB

Posted March 03, 2002 - 03:15 PM

Skip,

It's more a function of how much friction modifiers are in the product. Generally, if it does not say energy conserving on the round label you'll be ok. I know guys who run castrol, mobil red cap, and I personnally run Mobil Devlac 1300 super. I get it at wally world for $5.31 a gallon.

Bottom line is if a product makes the clutch slip dump the oil out and try something else. I don't think you'll have a problem though.

• Skiplo3

Posted March 03, 2002 - 03:24 PM

Thanks Rich, I have decided to go with Mobil 1 red cap. I can get it at wal-mart for $4.47 a quart. I dont really have to go the cheapest route but I sure cant afford to go the most expensive route either.

Thanks again, Skip

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.