2010-13 yz450f forks..on a 2015?

9 replies to this topic
  • Justin89

Posted November 28, 2015 - 09:10 PM

Will 2010-2013 front forks only work on a 2015 yz450f? Searched and couldnt find the answer. Also checked with the Jedi master himself but want to quadruple check. Thanks.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 28, 2015 - 09:18 PM

I do believe they are all exactly the same

• Justin89

Posted November 28, 2015 - 09:28 PM

Awesome. I shouldnt have a problem mounting my 2015 front wheel to the forks correct? I just have a chance at some factory A kit front forks off of a 2013, hence the reason for wondering. Thank you for your response.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 28, 2015 - 09:32 PM

Awesome. I shouldnt have a problem mounting my 2015 front wheel to the forks correct? I just have a chance at some factory A kit front forks off of a 2013, hence the reason for wondering. Thank you for your response.

A kit forks are not necessarily 'standard' sized forks.

There are many KYB bottom lug possibilities, lengths, etc. 

Verify dimensions. 

Handling changes can be made with different lug types, so look closely.

If the front wheel that mated to the fork was an OEM wheel or a OEM fit aftermarket hub and wheel, then you at least know the wheel and caliper will fit without issues.

• Justin89

Posted November 28, 2015 - 09:35 PM

A kit forks are not necessarily 'standard' sized forks.

There are many KYB bottom lug possibilities, lengths, etc. 

Verify dimensions. 

Handling changes can be made with different lug types, so look closely.

If the front wheel that mated to the fork was an OEM wheel or a OEM fit aftermarket hub and wheel, then you at least know the wheel and caliper will fit without issues.

Copy, thank you. The forks are standard size and dimensions, mounted on a display (otherwise stock) 2013 yz450f. Stock triple clamps, stock excel wheels, etc. The forks are kashima coated, DLC coated, subtanks, etc. I guess not technically A-kit like a Pro Circuit set up. Thank you for your help!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Monk

Posted November 28, 2015 - 09:37 PM

No, 14-current run a 22mm front axel over the 13-older 20mm axel. There are also changes that don't necessarily affect the swap but might become apparent when riding... Valving, spring rates, fork rigidity...

• Justin89

Posted December 03, 2015 - 07:59 AM

So i believe i could use 13' wheel bearings and a 13' front axel and be good to go correct? I actually have those parts in my shop. Friend has the suspension and is practically giving it to me so i wanna at least attempt it. Anyone have thoughts?

• Monk

Posted December 03, 2015 - 08:17 AM

So i believe i could use 13' wheel bearings and a 13' front axel and be good to go correct? I actually have those parts in my shop. Friend has the suspension and is practically giving it to me so i wanna at least attempt it. Anyone have thoughts?

Unfortunately, you'll need to find a bearing with the 22mm inner diameter that will fit an older hub. The outer diameter of a 22mm bearing is slightly larger and made for the larger 14+ hub. I have not found this size bearing as I have a few older front YZ hubs.

You will also need the 22mm spacers...

• Monk

Posted December 03, 2015 - 08:21 AM

Keep in mind 13 forks are shorter then 14 forks too. I think your getting caught up in the nostalgia of these forks. Consider that you might have to get them revalved, re-sprung etc etc along with the current chassis changes, you could be putting a lot of time and effort into setting up the bike... And because your asking here, I'm gonna guess you don't have the most experience...

• Justin89

Posted December 03, 2015 - 02:43 PM

Keep in mind 13 forks are shorter then 14 forks too. I think your getting caught up in the nostalgia of these forks. Consider that you might have to get them revalved, re-sprung etc etc along with the current chassis changes, you could be putting a lot of time and effort into setting up the bike... And because your asking here, I'm gonna guess you don't have the most experience...

Thanks for your insight.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.