YZ426F 5TH Gear Problems...Pic Heavy

8 replies to this topic
  • fastfiveoh

Posted November 26, 2015 - 09:53 AM

i just bought my 426, test rode it in town and didnt get to 5th gear, but it ran and rode great...

me and my buddy load up to ride, i took of just at a normal crusing pace, hit 5th gear and it acts as if the clutch is being pulled in and out while under acceleration in 5th only...

heres pics of my findings...seems like that shift fork is the culprit, but i wanted to get more opinions before i go buy parts...and also, can anyone tell me what crank/rod/piston i have...guy said it was rebuilt, crank shows signs of rod contact or something..also a pic of timing chain crank sprocket...also my middle intake valve looks different and says japan on it...is that oem?

and last i dont ride super hard or race,...mostly trails and gravel roads... but wheelies and WOT is there...any suggestions on durable parts?

DSCN0166.JPG

DSCN0167.JPG

DSCN0168.JPG

DSCN0169.JPG

DSCN0170.JPG

DSCN0171.JPG

DSCN0172.JPG

DSCN0173.JPG

DSCN0174.JPG

DSCN0175.JPG

DSCN0156.JPG

DSCN0158.JPG

DSCN0159.JPG

DSCN0161.JPG

DSCN0162.JPG

DSCN0165.JPG

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 26, 2015 - 07:13 PM

That's a very old motor.

Are you sure you want to pour money into it?

The OEM parts are the best available.

• fastfiveoh

Posted November 27, 2015 - 05:16 AM

That's a very old motor.

Are you sure you want to pour money into it?

The OEM parts are the best available.

what makes it old?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 27, 2015 - 06:03 AM

what makes it old?

Years/Hours of use

Suspension design

Size and weight

Ergonomics

IMHO

The Yamaha bikes last a long time.

That's a good thing and a bad thing.

That means when you buy a used one, everything on the whole bike is worn out, because they don't typically fail at all, so they get ridden till they die, or close to it.

15 years is a long time for a dirtbike motor.

At probably 150 hours max you should change the piston (1/4 of that if you are racing mx with it). 

At 15 years that would mean it was only ridden 10 hours a year? Doubt it.  Probably triple that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fastfiveoh

Posted November 27, 2015 - 06:10 AM

Years/Hours of use

Suspension design

Size and weight

Ergonomics

IMHO

The Yamaha bikes last a long time.

That's a good thing and a bad thing.

That means when you buy a used one, everything on the whole bike is worn out, because they don't typically fail at all, so they get ridden till they die, or close to it.

15 years is a long time for a dirtbike motor.

At probably 150 hours max you should change the piston (1/4 of that if you are racing mx with it). 

At 15 years that would mean it was only ridden 10 hours a year? Doubt it.  Probably triple that.

nothin a rebuild dont fix...im not worried on weight/suspension etc...i just need a decent reliable bike to have fun with..

im sure its out dated...plus my buddies bike is a 97 yz250...its not like we are out to race and compete

only reason i asked which rod an stuff i have is in case it was something good...i had planned on new crank/piston to begin with

• grayracer513

Posted November 27, 2015 - 07:56 AM

Your 5th gear problem is the locking lugs and slots on the 3rd and 5th pinions (main shaft).  They are worn to the point where instead of holding in gear, they push away from each other under pressure.  The fork is bent as a result.

Attached Thumbnails

• dog.jpg
  • fork.jpg
  • slot.jpg

• fastfiveoh

Posted November 27, 2015 - 05:57 PM

Your 5th gear problem is the locking lugs and slots on the 3rd and 5th pinions (main shaft).  They are worn to the point where instead of holding in gear, they push away from each other under pressure.  The fork is bent as a result.

thanks a bunch, thats what i needed to know, thanks again!

so 15 and 19 is what i need correct? plus a shift fork

http://www.bikebandi...45769#sch114602

Edited by fastfiveoh, November 27, 2015 - 06:00 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted November 28, 2015 - 07:21 AM

No, those are the 3rd and 5th "wheel" gears on the output shaft.  You need 3 and 6, the 5th and 3rd "pinions" on the main shaft, as well as any other gears showing that kind of wear, and the fork for the third pinion ("shift fork 2")

• fastfiveoh

Posted November 29, 2015 - 04:11 AM

No, those are the 3rd and 5th "wheel" gears on the output shaft.  You need 3 and 6, the 5th and 3rd "pinions" on the main shaft, as well as any other gears showing that kind of wear, and the fork for the third pinion ("shift fork 2")

i was mixed up there, thanks again

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.