02 yz426 cam chain guide

1 reply to this topic
  • Spartan426

Posted November 24, 2015 - 02:11 AM

Hey guys, so I had a leak for my cams on the cylinder head, those darn things are tough to seal properly. Anyway I took off my cylinder head cap so I could re-seal it and the small cam chain guide fell off and almost into the engine, when Pulling the cap off.

I was wondering how this guide is attached to the cylinder cap? Is it just a snug fit? Pressing it back onto the cover it comes off pretty easily though it will hold its self upside down

I wanted to ask since I just got done with a rebuild not long ago and I seriously don't want this thing dropping into the cams while the bike is running, though I'm not sure if there is constant pressure from the chain to this guide that would hold it in place?

Any input would be much appreciated!

Is there a special glue that secures this in place or do I just need a new one?
[attachment=283829:ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448359659.396651.jpg][attachment=283830:ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448359688.430225.jpg][attachment=283831:ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448359707.050412.jpg][attachment=283832:ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448359722.351307.jpg]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 24, 2015 - 07:05 AM

Originally it just snaps in.  If yours is loose, it's probably shrunk/hardened.  The best course is to replace it.  Look closely at the two pegs it sits on to see if they've been beat up by having the guide shuffle around on them.  It's more or less trapped in place, but if it gets to wiggling on its pins, it could eventually wear them off and go wandering around the cam chain while it's running. 

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.